Karuna Pandey is an Indian actress, theatre artist, and dancer, recognized for her roles in television shows such as “Pushpa Impossible” (2022) and “Devanshi” (2016), as well as the 2015 film “Prem Ratan Dhan Payo.”
Karuna Pandey was born on Thursday, 4 September 1980 (age 43 years; as of 2023) in Dehradun, Uttarakhand, India. Her zodiac sign is Virgo.
She attended Kendriya Vidyalaya schools in multiple locations across India including Ambala, Shillong, Chennai, Agra, Udhampur, and Lucknow, due to her father’s military service. Later, Karuna Pandey went to the Department of Indian Theatre in Chandigarh, Panjab University, to pursue a post-graduation degree in performing arts.
Height (approx.): 5′ 5″
Weight (approx.): 65 kg
Hair Colour: Brown
Eye Colour: Black
Parents & Siblings
Her father, P.C. Pandey, was an officer in command in military farms. He died in 2005. Her mother, Deepa Pandey, was a homemaker.
Karuna Pandey has a sister named Bhawna Sharma who is an Indian businesswoman. She operates the company ARTIUS in Gurgaon.
On 20 February 2014, Karuna Pandey got married to an Indian actor and filmmaker Rutwij Vaidya.
She was in a relationship with Rutwij Vaidya before marrying him in 2014.
Karuna Pandey started her acting career in 2003 with a small role in the Bollywood film ‘The Bypass,’ which starred Nawazuddin Siddiqui, Irrfan Khan, and Sundar Dan Detha.
In 2015, Karuna Pandey appeared in the Bollywood film ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ as Maharani Bhagwanti Singh. In 2019, she appeared in the film ‘Motichoor Chaknachoor’ (2019) as Prabha Mausi.
She rose to fame after playing the role of Shaili Vimal Prasad in the popular TV show ‘Yahan Mein Ghar Ghar Kheli’ in 2009. She then played lead roles in other popular TV shows like ‘Woh Rehne Waali Mehlon Ki’ (2005), ‘Shraddha’ (2009), and ‘Jhilmil Sitaaron Ka Aangan Hoga’ (2013) on Sahara One.
She then went on to appear in various TV shows like ‘Khauff Begins… Ringa Ringa Roses’ (2013) and ‘Devanshi’ (2016).
Karuna Pandey gained recognition through her role in the TV series ‘Pushpa Impossible’ on Sony SAB and SonyLIV in 2022.
In 2023, she was one of the participants in the reality show ‘Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa’ on Sony Entertainment Television.
- In 2017, Karuna Pandey won the Best Villain award at the Colors Golden Petal Awards for the television serial Devanshi on Colors TV.
- In 2023, she received the Best Actress award at the Indian Telly Awards and Editorial Choice Awards for the television serial Pushpa Impossible on Colors TV.
- Film(s): Prem Ratan Dhan Payo (2015), Zindagi (1964)
- She follows a vegetarian diet.
- Apart from being an actress, Karuna Pandey is also an accomplished writer. According to her, she regularly writes shayaris and poems. In 2016, on Women’s Day eve, she dedicated a unique handwritten poem to all the female co-stars of the TV serial ‘Bhaage Re Mann.’
- She shared in a media interview in 2022 that she loves cooking food at home and even mentioned some of her favourite dishes. Karuna Pandey said,
I only eat vegetarian foods. I prefer soup over salads. I don’t really hate any vegetables, but I’m not a fan of long and flat beans. The most tempting dish for me would be rajma chawal. My family loves to eat my kadhi chawal and paneer butter masala. Maggi is definitely my go-to midnight snack.”
- In her leisure time, she likes dancing, choreography, listening to music, writing songs, filmmaking, swimming, travelling to distant places and cycling.
- Karuna Pandey, an animal lover, owns pets named Romeo, Barbie, Mau, and Cuttie, and she considers herself an animal activist. She expressed her affection for animals in a media interview. She said,
“I have two cats and a dog as my kids. All three are adopted as I personally discourage breeding. My husband too is an animal lover like me. Both my husband and I are happy with our animal kids and we do not intend to have ‘human’ kids.”
- In an interview, she revealed her passion for dancing. She said that she is a trained Kathak and Bharatnatyam dancer. She said,
I was always into dancing – I am a trained Kathak and Bharatnatyam dancer, so dancing is within me, and acting for some reason came naturally to me.”