Subodh Kant Sahay is an Indian politician who represented the Ranchi constituency in Jharkhand and served as a Member of Parliament for three terms. As a member of the Indian National Congress, he has held significant positions, including that of Cabinet Minister for Tourism until 28 October 2012.
- 1 Wiki/Biography
- 2 Physical Appearance
- 3 Family & Caste
- 4 Relationships/Affairs
- 5 Address
- 6 Signature
- 7 Career
- 8 Controversies
- 9 Assets/Properties
- 10 Net Worth
- 11 Facts/Trivia
Subodh Kant Sahay was born on Monday, 11 June 1951 (age 72 years; as of 2023) in Latehar, Bihar, India. His zodiac sign is Gemini. In 1974, he earned a Bachelor’s degree in Science at Magadh University in Bihar. Later, he earned an LLB degree at Ranchi University, Jharkhand. Subodh Kant Sahay has been actively involved in social and welfare activities since his college days.
Before entering politics, he was associated with many political movements, including the Non-Aligned Student Youth Organization (NASYO) and the Jai Prakash Movement. He has been part of the Preparatory Committee and World Youth Festival as its General Secretary. He served as the President of Yuva Janata, Janata Party, and Janata Dal.
Height (approx.): 5′ 7″
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Black
Family & Caste
Subodh Kant Sahay belongs to the Chitraguptavanshi Kayastha community.
Parents & Siblings
His father’s name is Brij Dev Sahay, and his mother’s name is Indrani Devi. He has three brothers named Sunil Sahay (politician), Sudhir Sahay, and Tarun Sahay.
Wife & Children
On 28 March 1991, Subodh Kant Sahay got married to Rekha Sahay, a theatre artist. The couple has a daughter named Yashashwini Sahay.
He was in a relationship with Rekha Sahay before marrying her in 1991.
His permanent address is E-40, Sector 3, HEC, Dhurwa, Ranchi, 834004.
In July 1978, Subodh Kant Sahay was appointed as a Speaker at the Bihar Legislative Assembly, and he served in the position till October 1989. Meanwhile, he was also designated as the President of the Public Accounts Committee for four years, President of the Committee of Privileges for two years, and Vice President of the Library Committee for four years.
Thereafter, Bihar Janta Party president Satyendra Narayan Sinha asked him to contest the State Legislative Assembly election as a candidate from Hatia, Ranchi. He agreed and won. He became a Member of Parliament in the 9th Lok Sabha from the Ranchi constituency in 1989. He then served as the President of the Committee on Petitions in the Bihar Legislative Assembly for three years.
Subodh Kant Sahay was a Union Minister in the Indian Government from April 1990 to November 1990. He then served as a Union Minister of State for Information and Broadcasting from November 1990 to June 1991. After that, he was appointed as the Secretary of AICC in Uttar Pradesh and Uttarakhand for two years.
In the 14th Lok Sabha, he served as a Member of Parliament and was appointed as the Union Minister of State for Food Processing Industries in the First Manmohan Singh Cabinet from 2004 to 2009. He was then re-elected to the 15th Lok Sabha in 2009 as a Member of Parliament from the Ranchi constituency.
Subodh Kant Sahay served as the Union Minister for Tourism from 2011 to October 2012.
Attended a Fashion Show on Mumbai Blast Day
In 2011, he attracted controversy when he was pictured attending a fashion show when Mumbai was facing multiple bomb blasts. The Congress party did not comment on the situation and avoided the controversy.
Sahay Asked to Resign Over Coal Scam
Former PM Manmohan Singh asked Sahay to resign from his government job in 2012 due to charges of aiding his brother in a Coal Scam.
Compared PM Modi to Hitler
In 2022, at a Congress event in Delhi, Subodh Kant Sahay compared Prime Minister Narendra Modi to Hitler, claiming that Modi had surpassed Hitler’s actions and created a similar organization called ‘Khakee.’ Sahay warned Modi to remember this caution and that if he followed Hitler’s path, he would face a similar fate.
Brief Details of IPCs
- 1 charge related to Punishment for criminal intimidation (IPC Section-506)
- 1 charge related to Punishment for Being a member of an unlawful assembly (IPC Section-143)
- 1 charge related to Punishment of abetment if the act abetted is committed in consequence, and where no express provision is made for its punishment (IPC Section-109)
- 1 charge related to Obstructing public servants in the discharge of public functions (IPC Section-186)
- 1 charge related to Punishment for criminal trespass (IPC Section-447)
- 1 charge related to Acts done by several persons in furtherance of common intention (IPC Section-34)
- Deposits in Banks: Rs. 109000
- LIC or other insurance Policies: Rs. 5,23,573
- Personal loans/advance given: Rs. 13,62,500
- Agricultural Land: Rs. 21,00,000
- Non-Agricultural Land: Rs. 1,25,000
- Residential Buildings: Rs. 1,00,00,000
In 2019, Subodh Kant Sahay’s net worth was calculated approximately at Rs. 1.23 crores.
- Renowned Janata Party politicians such as Chandrashekhar Singh, Satyendra Narayan Sinha, and Thakur Prasad were his mentors.
- Subodh Kant Sahay referred to himself as a labourer from Bihar during a political rally in Ludhiana in 1991. He said,
I am one of the Bihari labourers come here to work your fields back to prosperity.”
- Former Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and former UPA Chairperson Sonia Gandhi used to praise him for his honesty and dedication during his tenure as a minister.
- He often sets up events for young people at the national and state level. These events help and support uplifting the minorities and underprivileged.
- Subodh Kant Sahay enjoys eating poita-bhaat (fermented rice) and biscuits. During his free time, he loves to travel to faraway places and read books.
- In 2024, he accused the BJP of destroying the country’s federal structure after the arrest of Jharkhand Chief Minister Hemant Soren.