Shakuni Choudhary is an Indian politician who has served as a Member of Bihar Assembly seven times and once as a Member of Parliament. He is also one of the founding members of the Samata Party and has served as a Deputy Speaker in the Bihar Legislative Assembly.
- 1 Wiki/Biography
- 2 Physical Appearance
- 3 Family & Caste
- 4 Signature
- 5 Career
- 6 Controversies
- 7 Car Collection
- 8 Assets/Properties
- 9 Facts/Trivia
Shakuni Choudhary was born on Saturday, 4 January 1936 (age 88 years; as of 2024) in Lakhanpur, Munger district, British India. His zodiac sign is Capricorn. In 1957, he completed his education at R.N.L.P.I. High School, Jalalabad, Mengur. He holds a diploma in Automobile Engineering.
Height (approx.): 5′ 8″
Weight (approx.): 80 kg
Hair Colour: White
Eye Colour: Black
Family & Caste
Shakuni Choudhary belongs to a family of the Koeri caste.
Parents & Siblings
Shakuni Choudhary’s father’s name was Pyare Chaudhari.
Wife & Children
On 1 July 1958, Shakuni Choudhary got married to Parvati Devi, an Indian politician who served as an MLA from the Tarapur constituency of Bihar. In September 2022, she died after suffering from an illness for a long time.
The couple has 5 children. Two of their sons, Samrat Choudhary, and Rohit Choudhary are involved in politics.
Member of Bihar Legislative Assembly
In 1985, Shakuni Choudhary won a seat in the Bihar Legislative Assembly from the Tarapur constituency as an independent candidate. Later, he joined the Indian National Congress and was elected to the Bihar Legislative Assembly in 1990 from the Tarapur constituency on a ticket of the Indian National Congress. In 1995, he was elected to the Bihar Legislative Assembly for the third time in a row from the same Tarapur constituency on a ticket of the Samata Party. In 1994, the Samata Party (SAP) was founded by George Fernandes and Nitish Kumar after splitting from the pre-existing Janata Dal party due to the parent party’s alleged casteism. He served as the health minister of Bihar in Lalu Prasad Yadav’s government. In 2000, he was again elected to the Bihar Legislative Assembly from the Tarapur constituency as a member of Rashtriya Janata Dal and was later made a minister in Rabri Devi’s cabinet. In July 2009, he was elected deputy speaker of the Bihar Assembly. In 2015, he again contested the Bihar Legislative Assembly elections from the Tarapur constituency on a ticket of the Hindustani Awam Morcha but lost to Mewalal Chaudhary of Janata Dal (United) by about 12,000 votes.
Member of Lok Sabha
In 1998, Shakuni Choudhary was elected to the Lok Sabha from Khagaria constituency of Bihar on a ticket of the Samata Party by defeating Anil Kumar Yadav of Rashtriya Janata Dal with a margin of 83,187 votes.
Launa-Parsa massacre case
In 1995, Shakuni Choudhary was one of the prime persons accused in the Launa-Parsa massacre case that took place during the 1995 Bihar assembly elections, in which Congress candidate Sachchidanand Singh and six others were killed with grenades. After being brought to a hospital in Tarapur, Singh was assassinated there during an attack. There were nine fatalities in these later incidents. In this case, thirty-three other people were charged along with Choudhary. Eventually, shortly after this incident, the investigations came to an end and Choudhary emerged victorious in the 1995 Bihar Assembly elections.
Criminal Cases against Shakuni Choudhary
- Charges related to False statement in connection with an election (IPC Section-171G)
- Charges related to Deliberate and malicious acts intended to outrage religious feelings or any class by insulting its religion or religious beliefs (IPC Section-295A)
- Charges related to Disobedience to order duly promulgated by a public servant (IPC Section-188)
- Charges related to Acts done by several persons in furtherance of common intention (IPC Section-34)
- Charges related to Wearing garb or carrying tokens used by public servants with fraudulent intent (IPC Section-171)
- Charges related to wrongful restraint (IPC Section-341)
- Charges related to voluntarily causing hurt (IPC Section-323)
- Charges related to Uttering, words, etc., with deliberate intent to wound the religious feelings of any person (IPC Section-298)
He owns a Marshall Jeep, a Scorpio, and a Military Disposal Jeep.
- Deposits in Banks, Financial Institutions and Non-Banking Financial Companies: Rs. 11,23,000
- Agricultural Land: Rs. 21,66,400
- Non-Agricultural Land: Rs. 2,80,000
Note: The given estimates are according to the year 2010. It excludes the assets owned by his wife and dependents (minor).
- Shakuni Choudhary served in the Indian Army for 15 years before he joined active politics. He was a member of the Indian army in the 1962, 1965, and 1971 wars.
- In March 2014, he quit the Rashtriya Janata Dal (RJD) and joined the Janata Dal (United). Later in an interview, he cited the reason for switching his party in which he alleged Lalu Prasad of running the party in a dictatorial manner with the sole agenda of promoting the interests of his own family members.
- Shakuni Choudhary joined Jitan Ram Manjhi’s rebellion in 2015 and became a member of the Hindustani Awam Morcha, a party that Manjhi founded following his split from the Janata Dal (United). In 2015, he was made Bihar State President of Hindustani Awam Morcha.
- In November 2015, Shakuni Choudhary resigned as State president of Hindustani Awam Morcha (HAM) following his humiliating defeat in the Bihar elections.
- In 2017, he established the private school Shakuni Choudhary The International School in Munger, Bihar.
- In 2019, Shakuni Choudhary gave an indication that he intended to return to active politics as a BJP member at a Bharatiya Janata Party leaders’ meeting.
- In January 2024, he celebrated his 88th birthday by lighting 88 diyas and 88 coconuts as a mark to celebrate the establishment of Ram Temple in Ayodhya. In an interview, he expressed his gratitude towards Narendra Modi, and said,
The biggest gift of the 88th birthday is the construction of a grand temple of Lord Shri Ram in Ayodhya and the consecration of the idol in it. Ramlala will be consecrated in the auspicious time and Lord Shri Ram will reside in the dream temple of his devotees.This was the biggest dream of my life which has been completed by Prime Minister Narendra Modi after the order of the Supreme Court.”