Sarbananda Sonowa is an Indian politician, Consultant & Agriculturist. He is the 14th Chief Minister of Assam and is known as the Jatiya Nayak of Assam. He is a member of the Bharatiya Janata Party and represents Majuli constituency in Assam.
Sarbananda Sonowal was born on Wednesday, 31 October 1962 (age 60 years; as of 2023) in Muluk Gaon located in the Dibrugarh district of Assam. His zodiac sign is Scorpio. He pursued his primary education at Muluk Gaon Primary School in Dibrugarh and studied till Class VI at Bindhakata Middle English School. Later, he completed schooling at Don Bosco High School, Dibrugarh. He pursued his Bachelor of Arts (English honours) at Dibrugarh Hanumanbax Surajmall Kanoi College under Dibrugarh University. After his graduation, he pursued an LLB at Dibrugarh University and a Bachelor of Journalism from Gauhati University.
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Black
Sarbananda Sonowal was born in an Assamese Hindu Sonowal family. His family belongs to the Kachari tribe.
Parents & Siblings
His father, Jibeswar Sonowal was a farmer and his mother, Dineswari Sonowal was a homemaker. Sarbananda was the youngest of the eight kids. He has 2 sisters, Dallmi Saikia and Rumi Saikla and 4 brothers, Misto Prasad Sonowal, Girish Sonowal, Duleswar Sonowal, Nareswar Sonowal, and Devananda Sonowal.
Wife & Children
He is unmarried.
Sarbananda Sonowal belongs to the Sonowal Kacharis caste and follows Hinduism.
1 No., Lakhimi Nagar, Near Auniati Sakha Sattra, Mankatta Road, P.O. & P.S. Dibrugarh,Distt. Dibrugarh, Assam
In 1992, Sonowal became the president of Assam’s oldest student body, the All Assam Students Union up until 1999. Later, In 2001, he became a member of the Asom Gana Parishad (AGP). He was elected as MLA of the Assam Legislative Assembly from Moran Constituency. In 2004, he was elected as the Lok Sabha member for the Moran constituency of Assam but in 2009, he lost the Lok Sabha elections from Dibrugarh. By the end of 2011, he resigned from Asom Gana Parishad (AGP).
Sarbananda Sonowal joined the Bhartiya Janta Party in 2011. He was appointed president of BJP’s Assam. later in the same year, he was appointed as a National Executive Member of Bharatiya Janata Party. Later, he became the State Spokesperson and General Secretary for the Assam Bharatiya Janata Party. In 2012, appointed as State President of the Assam Bharatiya Janata Party. He was elected as a Member of Parliament, 16th Lok Sabha from Lakhimpur Constituency in 2014. In 2014, he was appointed as Union Minister of State-Independent Charge, Republic of India. In 2016, he resigned from Loksabha. Later, the same year, he became Chief Minister of Assam as a candidate of BJP on 19 May 2016. He was elected from the Majuli Constituency in the Assam Legislative Assembly. On May 24, 2016, Sarbanand Sonowal took the oath as the chief minister of Assam as the BJP-led National Democratic Alliance won a majority in the state. In 2021, he won the Assam Legislative Election from the Majuli constituency and also helped the BJP to achieve new heights. In 2021, he was appointed as the Cabinet Minister of Ports, Shipping and Waterway and additionally given the charge of Ayush Ministry as well.
Assets & Properties
- Bank Deposits: Rs. 23,62,200
- LIC or other insurance Policies: Rs.27,49,674
- Other Assets: Rs. 1,90,000
- Bonds, Debentures and Shares in Companies: Rs. 24,95,875
- Agricultural Land: Rs. 25,25,000
- Non-Agricultural Land: Rs. 20,00,000
- Residential Buildings: Rs. 37,00,000
Note: The given estimates of movable and immovable assets are according to the year 2014. It excludes the net worth of his dependents.
Sarbananda’s net worth for the financial year 2014 was estimated to be Rs. 1 crore. It excludes the net worth of his dependents.
- Sarbananda Sonowal represented India at the Eastern Economic Forum, 2023 in Vladivostok.
- On 12 July 2005, he filed a case to shut down the IMDT Act 1983, which described the ways to find immigrants in Assam from Bangladesh and deport them. Sonowal described the act as “wholly arbitrary, unreasonable and discriminates against a class of citizens of India, making it impossible for citizens who are residents in Assam to secure the detection and deportation of foreigners from Indian soil.” Talking about the act Sonowal said,
IMDT Act is only encouraging vote bank politics without addressing the problem of illegal migrants, the Assam government had supported the law, saying it was equities.”
The SC directed that all the tribunals constituted under the IMDT Act would “cease to function” with immediate effect as the Parent Act has been declared unconstitutional. Cases pending before the tribunals would stand transferred to tribunals under the Foreigners Act, the Court said.
- Sonowal’s favourite colour is white and he is so obsessed with the colour, that he has painted all the walls in his house white.
- During his college days, he won the Mr. Dibrugarh Strongman title.
- He started the annual Guwahati International Film Festival.
- He was the chairman of the North East Students Organisation, from 1996 to 2000.
- He is very fond of high-speed cars and bikes.
- He is the second Tribal to be sworn in as the Chief Minister of Assam.