Diana Penty is an Indian actress and model who predominantly works in Hindi films. She is known for her performance in many popular films like ‘Cocktail’ (2012), ‘Happy Bhag Jayegi’ (2016), ‘Lucknow Central’ (2017), and ‘Parmanu: The Story of Pokhran’ (2018).
Diana Penty was born on Saturday, 2 November 1985 (age 38 years; as of 2023) in Byculla, Mumbai, India. Her zodiac sign is Scorpio. She attended St. Agnes High School, Mumbai, and later completed her graduation in Mass Media at St. Xavier’s College, Mumbai. She is settled in Mumbai, India.
Height (approx.): 5′ 10″
Weight (approx.): 55 kg
Hair Colour: Natural Black
Eye Colour: Dark Brown
Body Measurements (approx.): 32-28-32
Parents & Siblings
Diana Penty’s father was a Parsi who passed away when Diana was very young. Her mother, Noreen Penty, is a Konkani Christian. Diana is the only child of her parents.
Diana Penty is unmarried.
Reportedly, Diana Penty started dating a Mumbai-based diamond merchant Harsh Sagar in 2018; however, the actress never confirmed it.
Diana Penty was still pursuing graduation when she sent a few of her professional photos to Elite Models Management company. The agency liked her photos and suggested her to take up modelling as a career option. She started taking modelling assignments as part-time work, and Diana officially started modelling in 2005 when he made her runway debut at the Indo-Italian Festival for Italian designers Nicola Trussardi, and Gianfranco Ferré. Till 2007, Diana became a successful model working for Indian designers like Wendell Rodricks, and Rohit Bal, and Indian brands like Parachute and Westside.
In 2008, she started taking up international modelling contracts where she was hired for the endorsements of global brands like TRESemmé, Estée Lauder, Garnier, Forever 21, Lakme, and Maybelline.
In 2010, Diana Penty was appointed as the official model at the New York Fashion Week. In 2023, she walked the ramp for the Indian designer Rahul Mishra at the Paris Couture Week. Diana Penty has also been on the covers of various magazines like Wedding Affair, Elle, Cosmopolitan, The Luxury Edit, Vogue, Grazia, Bazaar, and Travel + Leisure.
Diana Penty made her Bollywood debut with the 2012 Hindi romantic comedy-drama film ‘Cocktail’ in which she played the role of Meera.
In 2016, she was cast in the Hindi romantic comedy-drama film ‘Happy Bhag Jayegi’ in which she played the role of Harpreet Kaur/Happy.
In 2017, Diana starred in the Hindi prison film ‘Lucknow Central’ in which she played the role of Gayatri Kashyap.
In 2018, she was cast in the Hindi historical action-drama film ‘Parmanu: The Story of Pokhran’ in which she played the role of Captain Ambalika Bandyopadhyay/Nakul Singh.
In the same year, Diana starred in ‘Happy Phirr Bhag Jayegi,’ which was the sequel to the 2016 film ‘Happy Bhag Jayegi.’ She played the role of Harpreet “Happy” Kaur/Happy 1 in the film.
In 2021, Diana was cast in the Hindi romantic drama film ‘Shiddat’ in which she played the role of Ira Sharma Sehgal.
In 2023, she was cast in the Hindi comedy-drama action film ‘Selfiee’ in which she played the role of Naina.
In the same year, Diana starred in the action thriller film ‘Bloody Daddy’ in which she played the role of Aditi Rawat.
In April 2023, she was roped in to play a role in Amitabh Bachchan’s starrer courtroom drama film ‘Section 84.’
Verbal Spat with KRK
In 2013, Kamaal R. Khan made a sexual tweet about Diana Penty, in which he requested Diana to go on a date with him. KRK’s tweet went like
Hey @DianaPenty can we go on a date on no panty day pls? I shall be really thankful yar.”
He then made another tweet saying,
Hey dear @DianaPenty if you will have date with me on no panty days then i shall gift you 3 beautiful panty i promise.”
Diana shut him down very sarcastically by tweeting,
That’s sweet. You don’t seem like a creep at all!”
The sexist tweets made by KRK were later deleted.
When Kamaal R Khan trolled Diana Penty over a panty, and how Diana won 🙂 pic.twitter.com/Ff6WHzJGSr
— Karthik 🇮🇳 (@beastoftraal) June 3, 2013
Diana’s Reply to Mika Singh
During the film Happy Bhag Jayegi’s music album launch in 2016, Indian singer Mika Singh passed a sexist joke about Diana Penty’s surname and was quoted saying,
She is Diana Panty, I am Mika Kachcha.”
Reacting to this statement, Diana was quoted saying,
I don’t find these jokes funny. I don’t even understand how people laugh at such comments.”
Award & Nominations
- In 2012, Diana was nominated for the ‘Most Entertaining Actor (Film) Debut Award’ for the film ‘Cocktail’ (2012) at the BIG Star Entertainment Awards.
- In 2013, she was nominated for the ‘Best Female Debut Award’ for the film ‘Cocktail’ (2012) at the Filmfare Awards.
- In 2013, she was nominated for the ‘Most Promising Newcomer Award’ for the film ‘Cocktail’ (2012) at the Screen Awards.
- In 2013, Diana received the ‘Face of the Year Award’ at the ‘Grazia Young Fashion Awards.’
- In 2013, Diana was nominated for the ‘Best Female Debut Award’ for the film ‘Cocktail’ (2012) at the Zee Cine Awards.
- In 2013, she was nominated for the ‘Best Female Debut Award’ and the ‘Award for Best Actress in a Supporting Role’ for the film ‘Cocktail’ (2012) at the Star Guild Awards.
- In 2013, she was nominated for the ‘Best Supporting Actress Award’ for the film ‘Cocktail’ (2012) at the International Indian Film Academy Awards.
- In 2016, Diana was nominated for the ‘Most Entertaining Actress in a Comedy Film Award’ for the film ‘Happy Bhag Jayegi’ (2016) at the BIG Star Entertainment Awards.
- In 2018, Diana received the ‘Inspirational Woman of the Year Award’ at the ITV Network’s ‘NewsX Women of Steel Summit and Awards.
Diana Penty owns a BMW car.
- Food: Biryani, Pasta, Chicken curry
- Travel Destination(s): Italy, Cape Town, Czech Republic, Norway, Iceland, Leh Ladakh
- Model(s): Kate Moss, Kendall Jenner
- Movie(s): ‘Life Is Beautiful’ (1997), ‘Dil Chahta Hai’ (2001), ‘A Beautiful Mind’ (2001), ‘Zindagi Na Milegi Dobara’ (2011),
- TV Series: Tehran (2020)
- Restaurant: Royal China (Mumbai)
- Sport(s): Swimming, Tennis
- Cuisine(s): Japanese, Indian, Thai
- Music Band(s): Matchbox Twenty, Coldplay, Bon Jovi, Red Hot Chili Peppers (RHCP)
- Diana Penty is a fitness enthusiast and often goes to the gym and posts pictures and videos of her fitness regime on social media.
- Diana Penty loves dogs and often shares her moments with pets on social media.
- She loves travelling and often shares her travel experience on social media.
- She loves shopping and goes shopping whenever she is free from her shooting.
- Diana is an avid reader and loves reading non-fiction books.
- Her first job was as an intern at Om Advertising and Marketing agency in Mumbai.
- Diana always wanted to become a model and was never interested in acting.
- Imtiaz Ali offered Diana the role of Heer in the film ‘Rockstar’ (2011); however, she rejected the offer as she felt she was new in the industry and wouldn’t be able to do justice to the role.
“I thought I would never get #Cocktail after I auditioned. Because I had zero confidence” – #DianaPenty@DianaPenty @IFFIGoa @Rakulpreet #iffi #IFFI2018 #IFFIGoa2018 #BollywoodBubble pic.twitter.com/a3CLl2fAMa
— Bollywood Bubble (@bollybubble) November 28, 2018
- Diana’s grandfather and his sisters served in the Indian Army in 1947.
- She loves photography and often reads books on photography.
- She was placed 10th in The Times of India’s Most Promising Newcomer Female List for 2012.
- In 2018, Diana was announced as the first Indian brand ambassador of the American cosmetic company Estée Lauder. She has also been the brand ambassador of famous brands like Garnier and TRESemmé. In 2008, Diana replaced Deepika Padukone as the brand ambassador of the makeup brand ‘Maybelline.’
- In 2013, Diana was ranked at 15th spot in the list of ‘World’s Sexiest Asian Women.’ She was ranked 23rd in the ‘The Times 50 Most Desirable Women 2019’ list.
- In 2013, she made a statement that she would never wear a bikini or perform intimate scenes in any of her on-screen work. Diana was quoted saying in an interview,
I wouldn’t be comfortable doing any of that stuff.”
- In 2017, after playing the role of ‘Gayatri’ in the Hindi film ‘Lucknow Central’ (2017), Diana got inspired to work for an NGO as according to her, it is betterment for the society.
- In 2019, she made a special appearance in the song ‘Shehar Ki Ladki’ from the Hindi film ‘Khandaani Shafakhana.’
- In 2019, Diana Penty made her debut at the Cannes Film Festival held in Cannes, France. The actress attended the festival in collaboration with a French vodka brand ‘Grey Goose.’
- Diana had to face sexual harassment during her school and college days, as she used to travel by train.
- In 2020, Diana along with Indian actor Sidharth Malhotra, featured in a music video titled ‘Challon Ke Nishaan,’ sung by Stebin Ben.
- Her nickname is ‘Dee’ and ‘DP.’
- In 2021, Diana started working with the Salaam Bombay Foundation (SBF) to provide safety gear and sanitisers to the Mumbai Police officials working in the city.
- In 2021, Diana collaborated with Ketto India for the #EveryLifeMatters initiative with the purpose of creating awareness and providing financial support to the families struck by the Covid crisis.
- In 2022, Diana made her Malayalam debut with the crime thriller film ‘Salute’ in which she played the role of Dia.
- She loves drinking tea and cannot start her day without having a cup as soon as she wakes up.
- Her first luxury purchase was a Chanel bag, which she purchased during her modelling days.
- Diana suffers from Obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) which bothers her day-to-day activity.
- Diana is a close friends with actress Dia Mirza, Athiya Shetty, Hindi film producer Krushika Lulla, and Hindi film director Aanand L. Rai.
- After her first film ‘Cocktail’ (2012), Diana took a break for four years as she was looking for the same kind of role as in ‘Cocktail,’ before she made a comeback with the film ‘Happy Bhag Jayegi’ in 2016.
- For her role in ‘Cocktail’ (2012), Diana was sent to Delhi for a few days so that she could get a hold of the city, the local language, and the mannerisms.
- Diana was selected for the role in the film ‘Cocktail’ (2012) within 24 hours of auditioning for it.
- Indian film director Imtiaz Ali told Dinesh Vijan (producer of ‘Cocktail’) to cast Diana Penty in the film ‘Cocktail’ (2012).
- She often advocates various issues for women. In an interview, she talked about how commendable it is for women to speak about their sufferings. Diana was quoted saying in an interview,
I am proud that the #MeToo movement has kick-started.”
- Deepika Padukone was supposed to play the role of Meera (played by Diana Penty) in the film ‘Cocktail’ (2012); however, the actress denied it and played the role of Veronica instead.