Dhiraj Bommadevara is an Indian Archer. As he represents India in the recurve men’s individual and team events, he is ranked 15th in the World Rankings. Dhiraj Bommadevara has won four World Cup medals which include a bronze in the individual game and three team medals in the year 2023.
Dhiraj Bommadevara was born on, Monday 3 September 2001 (age 22; as of 2023) in Vijayawada, Andhra Pradesh. He studied at the SRR and CVR Government Degree College, Vijayawada. In 2006, he joined the Volga Archery Academy in Vijayawada for the Archery training. In 2017, he took training at the Army Sports Institute in Pune for four years and in 2021, he joined the Army and served as a Havaldar. He has played 39 matches overall as of 2023, out of which he won 25 matches according to World Archery reports.
Height (approx.): 5′ 11″
Weight (approx.): 69 kg
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Black
Parents & Siblings
His father, Bommadevara Shravan Kumar served as a technical official in the Archery Association of India. There is not much knowledge about his mother and siblings.
Wife & Children
Dhiraj Bommadevara is unmarried.
In 2017, Dhiraj Bommadevara failed the trials for the Youth World Championships, in an interview he mentioned,
I have failed in trials for many important events. I could not clear the trials for the Youth World Championships in 2017, then I stood fourth in the trials for the Tokyo Olympics. But despite not clearing the trials, I was lucky to find people who believed in me.”
Dhiraj Bommadevara bagged an individual bronze medal in the Archery World Cup in Antalya 2023. Bhajan Kaur and Dhiraj Bommadevara played as a team with the fourth seeding. India’s recurve archer, Dhiraj Bommadevara lost a World Cup Final bronze medal in Hermosillo, Mexico, in 2023. Dhiraj Bommadevara was competing against the two-time Olympic gold medallist and three-time World Champion in Archery, Kim Woojin in the quarter-final. Dhiraj Bommadevara was the only Indian competing in the recurve events but lost the quarter-finals. Bommadevara scored 28 as Kim started the game well with a score of 29. With a 4-2 advantage heading into the final set, Bommadevara was in command. Kim made a string of 9, 9, and 8 strokes. Bommadevara maintained composure and hit two tens and a nine. Bommadevara faced first seed Lee Woo Seok in the semi-finals as compensation for defeating Kim. Lee shot a 28 while the Indian appeared to have started scoring a 30. However, a more detailed glance at the arrows disclosed a tie result of 29-29. In both the second and third sets, Lee struck a flawless 30 while Bommadevara only managed 27 and 28 resulting in the South Korean a comfortable 5-1 lead. The Indian lost the opening set 30-29 after getting off to a poor start against Italian Mauro Nespoli during the third-place match. In the subsequent set, the two archers suffered against the gusting winds and shot the eight points for an equal total of 27. The Italian’s difficulties were worse during the third set since he shot the arrows and scored 7 and 8 points despite Bommadevara’s 29-point performance to tie the match at 3-3 points each. Nespoli appeared doomed to fall down after making a string of 9, 8, and 10 shots since Bommadevara required 10 points victory in the final set but could score only 8 points.
On Tuesday, 2 August 2023, Dhiraj Bommadevara played in the rainfall in the recurve men’s qualification round of the World Archery Championship, Berlin and achieved second place. Dhiraj Bommadevara made 683 points lacking 5 points from the Korean double Olympic gold medalist, Kim Woo Jin in the competition. In an interview, he expressed his views regarding his sports and said,
I am so happy, first of all. The conditions were so tough, in the first half it was so windy and for me, it is so cold. It started to rain and I am happy I managed to shoot how I did. I only focused on the process. I am happy but not satisfied.”
In October 2023, he got 6th rank in the Hangzhou 2022 Asian Games, in China.
News Flash: Archery: Dhiraj Bommadevara loses in QF of Recurve event. Dhiraj lost to Kazakh archer via shoot-off | It wasn’t a good outing for Dhiraj as he scored zero in 2 of his shots! #AGwithIAS #IndiaAtAsianGames #AsianGames2022 pic.twitter.com/BFosLQLR29
— India_AllSports (@India_AllSports) October 3, 2023
Awards, Honours, Achievements
- In 2021, Dhiraj Bommadevara won a bronze medal in the Men’s individual event at the World Cups 2021 in Paris, France.
- In January 2022, Dhiraj Bommadevara defeated Tarundeep Rai, a Tokyo Olympian Archer in the Ranking tournament at Hyderabad.
- In 2023, he represented India in the Men’s team in individual events and the mixed team events at the World Championships in Berlin, Germany.
- Dhiraj Bommadevara took part in the Men’s team and Men’s individual events at the World Cup 2023 in Antalya, Turkey. He bagged two bronze medals in the Men’s team and individual events at the 2023 World Cup Stage 3 at Medellin, Colombia.
- Dhiraj Bommadevara played in the Men’s individual and mixed-team events at the 2023 World Cups in Paris, France and the 2023 World Cups in Shanghai, China.
- In September 2023, Dhiraj Bommadevara represented India in the World Cup at Hermosillo.
- The Indian men’s archery team consisting of Dhiraj Bommadevara, Atanu Das, and Tushar Shelke won the second prize in the Recurve Men’s Team Gold Medal Match at the Republic of Korea, which was India’s 90th medal in Archery sports.
- In September 2023, India’s recurve archer, Dhiraj Bommadevara lost a World Cup Final bronze medal in Hermosillo, Mexico.
- The Indian men’s archery team consisting of Dhiraj Bommadevara, Atanu Das, and Tushar Shelke won a Silver medal in the Asian Games 2023 in Hangzhou, China.
- A member of Express Sports and the Former Sports Editor of The Field, Vinayak praised Dhiraj Bommadevara for winning individual bronze at the World Cup 2023, the tweet read
🎯 🥉 Dhiraj Bommadevara is an individual bronze medallist at the season-opening World Cup. The 21-year-old caps off a memorable week with a podium finish. Would imagine the win against #2 Brady Ellison is his highlight. https://t.co/nhubJ78FNd pic.twitter.com/oOIphx2jDC
— Vinayakk (@vinayakkm) April 23, 2023
- The Union Minister for I&B and Youth Affairs & Sports, Anurag Thakur congratulated Dhiraj on Twitter. The tweet read,
𝐀 𝐇𝐈𝐒𝐓𝐎𝐑𝐈𝐂 𝐒𝐈𝐋𝐕𝐄𝐑 𝐅𝐎𝐑 𝐑𝐄𝐂𝐔𝐑𝐕𝐄 𝐀𝐑𝐂𝐇𝐄𝐑𝐒 🏹🥈🇮🇳
— Anurag Thakur (@ianuragthakur) October 6, 2023