Durai Murugan is an Indian politician, lawyer, and Spokesperson. He is the General Secretary of the DMK Party. He was elected as the MLA of the Katpadi constituency 6 times back-to-back.
Durai Murugan was born on Friday, 1 July 1938 (age 85 years; as of 2023) in Katpadi, Tamil Nadu. His zodiac sign is Cancer. He got his Bachelor in Law in 1969 and later in 1971, he pursued his Masters of Arts from Utkal University Bhubaneswar.
Height (approx.): 5′ 6″
Weight (approx.): 70 Kg
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Black
Parents & Siblings
Durai Murugan’s father’s name is Duraisamy and his mother’s name is Thavasi Ammal.
Wife & Children
His wife Santha Kumari, is an advocate and his son Kathir Anand is an Indian politician and Member of Parliament, elected from Tamil Nadu.
He follows Hinduism.
No.7, 5th East Cross Street, Gandhinagar, Vellore – 632006
Assets & Properties
- Bank Deposits: Rs. 95,94,468
- Loans Given: Rs. 86,12,782
- Other Assets (such as Mobile phones): Rs. 6,55,100
- Agricultural Land: Rs. 36,78,755
- Commercial Buildings: Rs. 1,16,90,000
- Residential Buildings: Rs. 5,75,00,000
Note: The given estimates of movable and immovable assets are according to the year 2021. It excludes the assets owned by his wife.
Durai Murugan’s net worth for the financial year 2020-2021 was estimated to be Rs. 9 crores. It excludes the net worth of his wife.
In 1954, at the age of 16, Durai Murugan joined the DMK party. In 1971, Durai Murugan was first elected to the Tamil Nadu Legislative Assembly from Katpadi and in 1980, he was elected as MLA from the Ranipet constituency. He won the elections many times including the Assembly elections for Katpadi (1989), elected as MLA from Katpadi of Tamil Nadu (2006). Later in 2006, he was appointed as the Minister for Public Works in the Government of Tamil Nadu. In 2011, Durai Murugan contested from the Katpadi constituency and won against Appu SRK of AIADMK. He was re-elected from the Katpadi constituency in 2016. In 2021, Durai Murugan was elected as MLA from the Katpadi constituency for the 6th time back to back. In 2021, he was also appointed the cabinet minister of Water Resources in the DMK government led by MK Stalin.
- 1 charge related to Fraudulent cancellation, destruction, etc., of will, authority to adopt, or valuable security (IPC Section-477)
- 1 charge related to Causing the disappearance of evidence of the offence, or giving false information to screen offender (IPC Section-201)
- 4 charges related to Punishment for Being a member of an unlawful assembly (IPC Section-143)
- 3 charges related to Disobedience to order duly promulgated by a public servant (IPC Section-188)
- 3 charges related to Punishment for wrongful restraint (IPC Section-341)
- 2 charges related to Punishment of abetment if the act abetted is committed in consequence, and where no express provision is made for its punishment (IPC Section-109)
- 1 charge related to Negligent act likely to spread infection of disease dangerous to life (IPC Section-269)
- 1 charges related to Using as genuine a forged document or electronic record (IPC Section-471)
- 1 charges related to Acts done by several persons in furtherance of common intention (IPC Section-34)
- The former Tamil Nadu chief minister M. G. Ramachandran was his local guardian in Madras and took care of the expenses of his education for 6 years.
- Durai Murgun is known for his Sense of humour and debating skills.