Roshni Nadar is the Chairperson, CEO and Executive Director of HCL Technologies. As per the IIFL Wealth Hurun India Rich List (2019), Roshni Nidar is the richest woman in India. She is the first woman head to lead a publicly listed IT company in India.
Roshni Nadar was born in 1982 (age 40 years; as of 2022) in Delhi. Her full name is Roshni Nadar Malhotra. She studied in Vasant Valley School and graduated from Northwestern University majoring in Communication with a focus on Radio/TV/Film. After that, she interned with CNN and CNBC and also worked as a news producer at Sky News in London for a brief period. Thereafter, she graduated with a Master in Business Administration (MBA) in Social Enterprise Management and Strategy from the Kellogg School of Management in Illinois, USA. At Kellogg, she received the Dean’s Distinguished Service Award. She has worked in various companies as a news producer for a brief period before joining HCL as the CEO of HCL Technologies in 2009.
Height (approx.): 5’ 5”
Eye Colour: Brown
Hair Colour: Blonde
Family & Caste
Roshni Nadar comes from a Hindu family.
Parents & Siblings
Roshni’s father Shiv Nadar is the founder of HCL Technologies. She succeeded her father as the HCL chairman after her father stepped down from the position at the age of 75 on 7th July 2020. Her mother Kiran Nadar is an avid art collector and philanthropist.
Relationship & Children
Roshni Nadar got married to Shikhar Malhotra in November 2010. Shikhar Malhotra is Executive Director, HCL Corporation Vice Chairman & CEO, HCL Healthcare Trustee, Shiv Nadar Foundation Pro-Chancellor, and a trustee of Shiv Nadar University. The couple is blessed with two sons, Armaan (born in 2013) and Jahaan (born in 2017).
Honours & Awards
In recognition of her outstanding work both in business and in philanthropy, Roshni has received global appreciation, honours and awards. Some of these include;
- NDTV “Young philanthropist of the Year” (2014)
- “The World’s Most Innovative People Award” for Philanthropic Innovation by the World Summit on Innovation & Entrepreneurship (WSIE)
- Lewis Institute “Community Changemaker” Award by Babson College (2017)
- Vogue India “Philanthropist of the Year” (2017)
- In 2019, she bagged 54th rank on the Forbes World’s 100 Most Powerful Woman’s list.
- In 2019, she was recognised by Horasis, an internationally distinguished think tank, as the “Indian Business Leader of the year.”
- In 2020, Roshni Nadar featured in 2020 Forbes Asia’s Power Businesswomen list.
- Roshni is a Trustee of the Shiv Nadar Foundation started by her father in 1994, which is committed to the process of nation-building by driving transformational leadership through education. She is overseeing the Foundation. There are several initiatives and institutions under the umbrella of Shiv Narad Foundation; SSN institutions, Vidyagyan Leadership Academy, Kiran Nadar Museum of Art, Shiv Nadar University, Shiv Nadar School and Shiksha Initiative.
- She is the Chairman of the driving force behind the VidyaGyan Leadership Academy, an academy working under Shiv Nadar Foundation for serving the meritorious, underprivileged, rural area students of Uttar Pradesh. Vidyagyan runs has two schools that intend to train future leaders from rural India who can act as an inspiration to bring change in their communities, villages and the nation itself. Under Roshni’s administration, VidyaGyan has started showing excellence in multiple fields.
- Roshni is passionate about wildlife and environment conservation. She established “The Habitats Trust” in 2018. This noble foundation aims to work towards conserving India’s natural habitats and its indigenous species with the focus on creating and conserving sustainable ecosystems through strategic partnerships and collaborations with all stakeholders, at every level. The trust provides grants to committed individuals and organisations who are working towards protecting India’s endangered and weak biodiversities and natural habitat.
In 2020, Roshni Nadar, with a net worth of Rs. Rs. 54,850 crores, Forbes listed her as the richest woman in India. In 2021, she retained this title with a net worth of Rs. 84,330 crores.
- Roshni Nadar is a trained classical musician.
- She is the only child of Shiv Nadar and Kiran Nadar.
- Roshni became the CEO of HCL Tech at a very young age of 28. Upon being asked, how did it feel to become CEO of an established software company at a mere age 28 and heiress to her father’s vast fortunes, Roshni said,
It came at a good time because, though I was young it gave me all the more years of overlap with my father which is important for me to understand and learn how to manage my family’s wealth. At that time, my father also needed an additional hand to help, direct and guide the direction the corporation was taking, so it fits in well. However, I was a bit overwhelmed too, because soon after I became CEO, all of a sudden there were huge cash outflows from HCL Corporation to fund a number of new initiatives of the Shiv Nadar Foundation that took off at the same time. So, there was this huge interdependence between the Corporation and the Foundation. It took a couple of months of adjusting but the show must go on and I managed just fine”.