Mugen Rao is a Malaysian actor, singer, director, and entrepreneur.
Mugan Rao, also known as MGR, was born on 20 October 1995 (22 years old; age in 2018) in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. His father was a stage performer and, so, he started performing along with his father to overcome financial constraints. Becoming an actor was a childhood dream for Mugen. He made his debut with the movie “Senandung Malam.” Apart from being an actor, Mugen Rao is also a singer, lyricist, and an entrepreneur.
- Height (Approx): 5′ 9″
- Body Measurements: Chest- 40″, Waist- 32″, Bicep- 14″
Family & Religion
Mugan Rao was born into a middle-class Hindu Family to Prakash Rao Krishnan, a stage performer, and Nirmala Devi, a worker in SP Setia Infrastructure company. He has a brother, Vignesh Rao, and a sister, Janany.
Mugan Rao completed his schooling from a school in Kuala Lumpur. He obtained a Diploma in Performing Arts in 2015 from Limkokwing University.
Because of the financial obstacles faced by his family, Mugen Rao started his career when he was 9 years old with performing on the stage with his father. While he was still studying in school, he formed a songwriting-producing-singing group called “Random.CROWNZ” along with his classmates.
When he was 13 years old, Mugen’s uncle Sathis Rao helped him get a role in a Malay Film. Therefore, Mugen began his professional journey with a small role of a paperboy in the film “Senandung Malam.” Though the role was small, Mugen has not looked back since then. His portrayal in “Senandung Malam” led him another role in “Gerak Khas.”
He discovered his passion for singing when he used to perform on stage with his father. Mugen Rao established himself as a singer and director with the song “Kayalvizhi” which released in 2016.
He also acted in a feature film “Ghora.”
Mugen Rao has appeared in short movies “Deepavali Special” and “Light Up Someone’s Life.”
Mugen has also hosted a travel show “KL to KK.”
Apart from being an actor, he has also appeared in various TV commercials. Rao has a huge fan base on social media. In 2019, he appeared in season 3 of the entertainment reality show “Bigg Boss.”
In 2019 itself, he was awarded the Best TV Drama Actor Award.
- By the time he was 12 years old, he had given nearly fifty stage performances.
- Rao had a rough patch during his childhood as he got influenced by the gangster culture in Malaysia and often used to enter into brawls with his friends.
- Mugen Rao is scared of darkness; he does not switch off the light at night.
- He considers his will-power his biggest strength.
- Rao’s hobbies include writing lyrics, travelling, watching movies, and cooking.
- He wants to bring the Malaysian Art Industry into the spotlight at the international level.
- Mugen’s dream is to his wax statue at Madame Tussauds Wax Museum.
- He does not watch horror movies.
- Mugen Rao admires Bruce Lee and The Rock.
- He and his family had to face economic hardships when Mugen was a child. He mentioned that on some days, they only had porridge to eat. To help his family, he had done a number of odd jobs like collecting aluminium tins and working as an extra artiste. Mugen credits that his hardships have helped him become a wiser person.
- He often loses his temper easily.
- Rao would love to visit the Thiruvannamalai Temple in India.
- He is a devotee of Lord Shiva.