Rajat Bedi is an Indian actor and film producer known for his work in the Hindi film industry. He is best known for playing the role of Raj Saxena in the Bollywood film ‘Koi… Mil Gaya’ (2003).
Rajat Bedi was born on Thursday, 1 January 1970 (age 53 years; as of 2023) in Mumbai. His zodiac sign is Capricorn.
Height (approx.): 6′ 3″
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Brown
Parents & Siblings
His father’s name is Narendra Bedi. He was a popular Bollywood filmmaker. His mother’s name is Veena Bedi.
His sister, Ila Bedi Dutta, is a film producer and writer. She has worked as a writer for various Hindi films and TV serials.
His brother, Manek Bedi, is an actor and film producer.
Wife & Children
He is married to his school friend Monalisa Bedi on 27 December. Together, they have a son named Vivaan and a daughter named Vera.
His grandfather, Rajinder Singh Bedi, was a popular Indian Urdu writer and filmmaker.
Tulip Joshi, who is a former actress and businesswoman, is his sister-in-law.
Rajat Bedi made his debut as an actor with the Bollywood film ‘2001: Do Hazaar Ek’ (1998) in which he played the role of Inspector Rajat Bedi.
In 1999, he appeared alongside Akshay Kumar in the film ‘International Khiladi.’ He essayed the role of Amit in the film. He played the role of Rajesh in the film ‘Jaani Dushman: Ek Anokhi Kahaani’ in 2002. He gained immense popularity after he played the role of Raj Saxena in the Hritik Roshan starrer film ‘Koi… Mil Gaya’ (2003).
His performance as ACP Ranbir Singh in the film ‘Rakht’ (2004) received immense appreciation from the audience.
In 2005, he appeared as Varun in the film ‘Khamoshh… Khauff Ki Raat.’ Some of his other notable Hindi films include ‘Jodi No.1’ (2001), ‘Maa Tujhhe Salaam’ (2002), ‘Chor Machaaye Shor’ (2002), ‘Rocky – The Rebel’ (2006), and ‘Partner’ (2007).
He made his debut in the Punjabi film industry with the film ‘Lakh Pardesi Hoiye’ in 2008. He played the lead role of Harry in the film.
In 2023, he essayed the role of Pali in the Punjabi film ‘Gol Gappe.’
Bedi made his Tamil debut with the film ‘Gajendra’ (2004) in which played the role of Chotta Babu. In 2016, he appeared in the Kannada film ‘Jaggu Dada’ in which he played the role of Don Subhash Bhai.
He received immense praise for his performance as Dushtanth in the Telugu film ‘Ahimsa’ (2023).
Rajat Bedi made his debut as a producer with the Hindi TV series ‘Lajwanti’ (2015), which aired on the channel Zee TV. The TV series is an adaptation of his grandfather’s novel with the same title.
He has worked as a co-producer with T-Series and Wakaoo Films for the Bollywood film ‘The Diplomat’ (2024), starring John Abraham.
In 2007, he started a real estate construction company named ‘Kraftsmen Holdings Ltd’ in Canada. In June 2017, he, along with his sister, Ila Bedi Dutta, established a film-producing company named ‘Triflix Entertainment LLP’ in Juhu, Mumbai.
In 2021, Mumbai police filed a case of rash and negligent driving against Rajat Bedi after he hit a slum dweller at the Sitladevi Temple Road in Andheri West. However, the actor immediately took the victim to a nearby hospital for medical treatment. According to the actor, the victim was allegedly intoxicated and suddenly came in front of his vehicle.
- In 1994, he became the winner of the first Gladrags Manhunt Contest India and was crowned ‘Mr. India.’ Later, he represented India at the Manhunt Internation 1994 contest, where he became the 4th runner-up. The contest was held in Greece.
- Before becoming an actor, he worked as a body double for Shah Rukh Khan in the films ‘Karan Arjun’ (1995) and ‘Duplicate’ (1998).
- In an interview, he revealed that many of his scenes in the 2003 Bollywood film ‘Koi… Mil Gaya’ was edited out of the film. He was also excluded from the promotions of the film. He added that this incident disappointed him after which he decided to leave the film industry and moved to Vancouver, Canada.
- In 2015, he changed his name from ‘Rajat Bedt’ to ‘Raj Singh Bedi’ when he made his comeback in the entertainment industry almost after a decade. In an interview, he talked about it and said,
My father always wanted to call me Raj, but my mother changed it to Rajat. Since this is my second innings in the business, I would like to change my name to Raj. Also, it has always been a lucky name in the industry.”
- In 2022, he appeared in the Hindi music video ‘Jogi Re Jogi,’ sung by Kumarjeet Sarkar.