Hemant Patil is an Indian politician, a former Member of the Legislative Assembly (MLA), and a businessman. He is a member of the Shiv Sena party. He hit the headlines in October 2023 after he submitted his resignation from the position of Member of the Parliament (MP) in solidarity with the Maratha reservation movement.
- 1 Wiki/Biography
- 2 Physical Appearance
- 3 Family & Caste
- 4 Relationships/Affairs
- 5 Religion/Religious Views
- 6 Address
- 7 Signature/Autograph
- 8 Career
- 9 Controversies
- 10 Car Collection
- 11 Salary/Income
- 12 Assets & Properties
- 13 Net Worth
- 14 Facts/Trivia
Hemant Patil was born as Hemant Shriram Patil on Wednesday, 16 December 1970 (age 53 years; as of 2023) in Yehalegaon Tukaram Kalamnuri, Hingoli, Maharashtra, India. His zodiac sign is Sagittarius. In 1991, he passed the Police Sub-Inspectors (PSI) exam. In 1993, he graduated from the Science College, Nanded, Maharashtra with a degree in Bachelor of Science (B.Sc.). He holds a diploma in Computer Application. He has also completed a certificate course in Import-Export.
Height (approx.): 5′ 8″
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Black
Family & Caste
He comes from a middle-class Maratha family.
His father’s name is Shriram Patil and his mother’s name is Kamla Shriram Patil.
Wife & Children
Hemant Patil married Rajshri Hemant Patil on 7th February 1999. Rajshri is the Chairperson of Godavari Urban Multi State Credit Co-Op Society Ltd and Shivdhara Mahila Nagri Patsanstha. In 2019, she participated in the Nanded South Assembly constituency election but lost to Mohanrao Marotrao Hambarde of the Indian National Congress (INC). They have a son, Rudra Hemant Patil.
Hemant Patil was in a relationship with Rajshri Patil before marrying her. They met for the first time in 1996 at a Maratha Seva Sangh event that she was moderating. Later, they started dating and eventually got married.
Hemant Patil is a follower of Hinduism.
Tukai, H No 1/10/623, Raviraj Nagar, Taroda Naka, Nanded, Maharashtra- 431605
Hemant Patil has been an ardent supporter of the Shiv Sena party since his younger days. He Joined Shiv Sena in the late 1990s. In 2002, he became a councillor of the Nanded-Waghala Municipal Corporation. He became the chairman of the standing committee of the Nanded-Waghala Municipal Corporation in 2003. He was elected a zila pramukh in 2005.
Member of the Legislative Assembly
In 2009, he fought the Assembly Constituency election from Nanded (South) but lost to Omprakash Pokarna of the Indian National Congress (INC). In 2014, he fought the 13th Legislative Assembly election for Maharashtra from Nanded (South). He won the election and was elected as a Member of the Legislative Assembly (MLA) from the constituency. He was appointed as a member of the PRC Committee and Charity Commissioner Committee from 2014 to 2017. He was appointed as a member of the Public Undertakings Committee From 2017 to 2019.
Member of the Parliament
In 2019, he won the 17th Lok Sabha election from Hingoli and became a Member of the Parliament (MP). On 13 September 2019, he was appointed as a member of the Standing Committee on Commerce. On 13 September 2022, he became a member of the Standing Committee on Finance and Consultative Committee in the Ministry of Finance. On 21 December 2022, he became a member of the Joint Committee on the Multi-State Co-operative Societies (Amendment) Bill. In June 2022, Shiv Sena was divided into two factions, one led by Uddhav Thackeray and the other led by Eknath Shinde. On 19 July 2022, it was reported that Hemant had joined the faction led by Eknath Shinde. In September 2022, he was appointed as the President of the Balasaheb Thackeray Turmeric Research Centre, set up in Hingoli, Maharashtra. On 29 October 2023, he announced his resignation as an MP to support the Maratha Reservation protests. In his resignation letter addressed to the Lok Sabha Speaker, Om Birla, he talked about the intense emotions of people in support of the Maratha reservation issue and his desire to resign from his position as MP on the issue and wrote,
The feelings of the community are very strong. I have been an activist fighting for the Maratha community and farmers for years. I am supporting the reservation movement and I am resigning from my post for Maratha reservation.”
Delayed An Express Train
On 15 April 2016, Hemant Patil delayed the Devgiri Express train by almost an hour. According to the reports, he kept pulling the chain every time the train moved as he wasn’t satisfied with the berth he was given and the railway officials refused to comply with his demand for another berth. This incident resulted in the delay of two more trains. A senior railway officer talked about the delay due to the continuous pulling of the chain by Hemant and his men in an interview and said,
Netaji (Patil) and his men held up the train for almost an hour, which is a serious offence under the Railway Act. Every time the train moved ahead, netaji and his supporters kept pulling the chain and the 9:10 pm Devgiri Express finally left CST around 10 pm.”
In an interview, Hemant defended his actions by claiming that he stopped the train as the railway was not providing proper services and said,
Railways are giving poor services to people and MLAs. Despite holding several meetings with them to ensure clean beds, sanitized toilets and better services, no change was seen. Hence, for questioning railway authorities, we did not allow the train to move.”
He also claimed that the train was infested with rats and circulated a video in the media which showed a rat eating food inside the coach.
Forced A Hospital Dean To Clean Toilets
In October 2023, an FIR was registered against him as he made the dean of a government hospital in Nanded clean the toilets, as seen in a viral video. The dean, S. R. Wakode, filed an FIR against him. An official, in an interview, said that Hemant had been charged with Indian Penal Code section 353 (assault or criminal force to deter public servant from discharge of his duty), 500 (defamation) and 506 (criminal intimidation), as well as provisions of the Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes (Prevention of Atrocities) Act. In an interview, Hemant defended his actions and claimed that his actions were pure and he didn’t want to humiliate the dean. He further claimed the case against him was politically motivated and said,
My intention was pure. I did not abuse or even speak rudely with him so as to deserve such stringent sections (against me). But he has filed the case… This looks politically motivated, under the influence of the Opposition.”
In 2022, Hemant Patil’s salary as a member of the parliament was around Rs. 2 lacs + other allowances. In the financial year 2017-2018, his income was estimated to be Rs. 19,59,025.
Assets & Properties
- Deposits in Banks, Financial Institutions, and Non-Banking Financial Companies: Rs. 3,03,184
- Bonds, Debentures, and Shares in companies: Rs. 1,51,278
- Motor Vehicles: Rs. 30,69,263
- Non-Agricultural Land: Rs. 20,00,000
Note: The given estimates of movable and immovable assets are according to the year 2019. It excludes the assets owned by his wife and dependents.
Hemant Patil’s net worth for the year 2019 was estimated to be Rs. 50,43,622. It excludes the net worth of his wife and dependents.
- In 2017, Hemant Patil inspected a zilla parishad school in the Dhule district as a member of the Panchayat Raj committee to check the status of the food plan for school children. Noticing a difference in the actual stock and the food grains mentioned in the school register, he brought it to the chairman of the committee, Prakash Barsakale, who is also a BJP legislator. Later, Hemant approached the Anti-Corruption Bureau and got the deputy chief officer Tushar Mali arrested for bribing him with Rs.1.5 lakh.
- In December 2019, a letter he allegedly wrote went viral in support of the National Register of Citizens (NRC) and the Citizenship Amendment Act (CAA). This came after his party, Shiv Sena, had already opposed the laws. In an interview, Hemant Patil stated that he hadn’t written the letter. He further stated that one of his letters on the railway reservations was edited and said,
I have not written any such letter. One of my letters issued for railway reservations has been misused here. Someone has misused this letter and changed the matter over it through computer, and this new letter has been made viral on WhatsApp and other social media.”
- In 2023, a video went viral which showed Hemant Patil scolding the Tehsildar of Mahur, Kishore Yadav after the farmers complained to him about the Tehsildar not receiving their calls and not listening to their issues.
- He loves drawing and has an interest in calligraphy.
- He loves folk art and music.
- He organizes Ashadhi Mahotsav, a four-day cultural event, every year in the Nanded city. He has been doing this regularly for more than a decade in which the foremost artists of India sing devotional songs.
- He has an interest in rifle shooting.
- He likes to collect antiquities.
- He is an environmentalist and loves to preserve and conserve various endangered tree species.
- He has been actively involved in organising Godavari Mahotsav to bring awareness to the administrative and public domain to curb the pollution in Godavari River. During the Mahotsav, volunteers launched a 50-day Godavari river cleanliness campaign.
- He has organised cultural programs such as Lavani Dance Mahotsav and cuisine competitions from different states at Godavari Mahotsav to help women display their talents.
- Under the campaign of ‘Mi Anwani,’ he donated socks and shoes to 14,000 children with his personal expenses.
- He has an interest in sports and is the President of the Nanded District Archery Association. He also loves to organise state-level competitions for different sports including cricket, wrestling, and table tennis.
- He has an interest in travelling to different countries and states to understand their lifestyle. He has visited many countries, including Cambodia, China, Germany, Mauritius, New Zealand, Singapore, Thailand, USA, and Vietnam.
- He is the founder of Godavari Urban Multi State Credit Co-Op Society Ltd.
- In January 2024, Shiv Sena District Chief and MLA Santosh Bangar announced the candidature of Hemant Patil for the 18th Lok Sabha Elections at the Shiv Sena party meeting.