Jasmeet Kaur Maan, known by her stage name Barbie Maan, is an Indian singer who is prominently known for singing in the Punjabi music industry. She is popular for her song “Teri Gali” written by Guru Randhawa. It garnered over 38 million views on YouTube.
Barbie Maan was born on Monday, 29 September 1997 (age 24 years; as of 2022) in Firozpur, Punjab. Her zodiac sign is Libra. She did her schooling at HM DAV Public School. She holds a Bachelor of Arts degree in English and musical instruments. Since childhood, she had a hobby of singing, but she never wanted to make her career in singing. She wanted to focus on her academics and pursue her education in medicine to become a doctor. Before her father’s death, in his last words, he told her that she should start taking music seriously.
Height (approx.): 5′ 4″
Weight (approx.): 55 kg
Hair Colour: Black (dyed brown)
Eye Colour: Black
Barbie Maan belongs to a Sikh family in Ferozpur, Punjab.
Parents & Siblings
Her mother’s name is Manjit Mann. She has a brother named Jupinder Maan. In 2010, her father passed away when Barbie was in 9th standard. Her father and grandfather had a business of manufacturing Harmonium since 1902.
After her father’s death, she decided to make his dream come true. She started actively participating in youth festivals and music competitions in school. She began to sing in small events. Later, she started posting her singing videos on Facebook in which she sang song covers, and a few of them went viral. She started getting offers for singing from many Punjabi artists and music labels.
After debuting in 2018, she released her second song, “Akhiyan,” in 2019, which was written by Preet Hundal. She learned music from Preet Hundal, who is a Punjabi singer, music director, and lyricist. He is the one who produced music and wrote the lyrics for her debut song, “Meriyan Saheliyan.” Later, she was signed by Gold Media Entertainment company.
In 2020, she releases multiple songs in which she worked with popular Punjabi artists including Guru Randhawa, Sidhu Moosewala, Prem Dhillon and more. The first song that she sang in 2020 was “Ajj Kal Ve,” which is a female version of the song from famous Punjabi singer and rapper Sidhu Moose Wala’s album “Snitches Get Stitches.” Her second song, “Teri Gali,” ranked 6th on both UK Asian Music Chart Top 40 and UK Official Punjabi Music Chart Top 20. Later, her song “Liv In” with singer and lyricist Prem Dhillon ranked 30th on the UK Asian Music Chart and 15th on the YouTube chart in Canada.
On 12 March 2021, Barbie released her first song of the year titled “Viah,” which has garnered over 20 million views on YouTube. In 2021, Barbie was featured in the music video of the song “Moh” alongside Sidhu Moose Wala. She is also a fan of Sidhu Moosewala’s work. In an interview, talking about the overall experience of working with him on the song, she said,
My team GOLD MEDIA has made this project possible with their vision and hard work. The whole team worked on the song wholeheartedly with Sidhu. He is indeed a great person and an artist to work with. I learnt so much from him.”
On 8 March 2022, she released the song “Revolver Wala,” which gained more than 7 million views on YouTube.
Promoting Gun Culture in Music Video
On 1 December 2020, the song “Jaan” by Barbie Maan featuring Shree Brar was released, which gained over 16 million views on YouTube. Punjabi singer, lyricist, and composer Shree Brar was arrested. A case was filed against Shree Brar, Babie Maan, and others who were in the video under Section 294 (punishment for an obscene act in any public place) and 504 (Intentional insult with intent to provoke breach of the peace) for encouraging ‘gun culture’ through the song. The music video of the song was found to have controversial content.
Some of her hit Punjabi songs are “Suit” (2020), “Lambarghinii” featuring Mista Baaz (2021), “Hathkadiyan” featuring Sandeep Brar (2021), and “All White Nakhro” (2021).
- Male Singer: Shawn Mendes
- Web Series: Money Heist (2017), Stranger Things (2016), Dark (2017), Outlaw (2010), Friends (1994)
- K-Drama: Descendants of the Sun (2016)
- In an Interview, Barbie shared that she always wanted to be a doctor or a teacher.
- She used to be the most loved kid in her house. Everyone called her Barbie affectionately that’s why she chose Barbie as her stage name.
- She is known for her various singing styles including Bhangra and pop.
- The first cover song by her that went viral was “Taare” by Guru Randhawa.
- Barbie has 774k followers on Instagram and 37k followers on Facebook.
- Her dream is to do a collaboration with international singer and songwriter Ariana Grande.
- In an interview, when she was asked if she had to stay with any artist or celebrity during the lockdown due to COVID-19, she replied, Shawn Mendes or Ariana Grande.
- Barbie doesn’t like to go out much and spend time with people. She likes staying at home, enjoying her time with family, and relaxing.