Ranvir Shorey is an Indian actor, film producer, and songwriter, who has also worked as a VJ. He is known for playing the role of Gopi Arya in the Hindi film ‘Ek Tha Tiger’ series.
Ranvir Shorey was born on Friday, 18 August 1972 (age 51 years; as of 2023) in Jalandhar, Punjab, India. His zodiac sign is Leo. When he was a year old, his family shifted to Mumbai. He did his schooling in Mumbai. In junior college, he studied science. In the first year of his graduation, he changed his subject to arts, and in the second year of his graduation, he dropped out. He then did a diploma in film video production at Xavier Institute of Communications in Mumbai and a diploma in film production at Digital Film Academy, New York. Later, he studied practical aesthetics at the Atlantic Theater Company in New York.
Height (approx.): 6′
Hair Colour: Salt & Pepper (dyed brown)
Eye Colour: Dark Brown
He belongs to a Hindu family.
Parents & Siblings
His father, Krishan Dev Shorey, was a film producer. His mother was a Hindi professor. He has two elder brothers named Lokesh Shorey (actor) and Shrinath Shorey.
Wife & Children
In 2006, while shooting for the Hindi film ‘Mixed Doubles,’ he met the Indian actress Konkana Sen. Soon, they became friends, and later, fell in love with each other. After being in a live-in relationship for a few years, the couple got engaged in 2008. On 3 September 2010, the couple got married in a private ceremony at their Goregaon residence.
On 15 March 2011, the couple was blessed with a baby boy named Haroon Shorey.
Within five years of their marriage, the couple got separated. In 2020, the couple got divorced and co-parented their son.
Ranvir has dated the Indian actress and producer Pooja Bhatt. After being in a few years of a live-in relationship, the rumours of their engagement started. However, after a while, the couple parted ways due to an abusive relationship. In an interview, Pooja talked about ending her relationship with Ranvir, she said,
I was in a relationship with an alcoholic, who used to beat me up.”
He started his career as a segment director for Plus channel, a film production house and worked in the Mirch Masala TV show which aired on Doordarshan. He then worked as a producer in the Hindi TV serial ‘Mumkin’ (1993) which aired on DD National. He then worked with Channel V as a director and also worked in the post-production department of the channel.
In 1998, he made his debut as a host/presenter in the English TV show ‘Oye,’ which aired on Channel V. He has hosted a few other English TV shows like ‘House Arrest’ (1998), ‘Saba’ (1999), and ‘Chat Room’ (2000). The shows were aired on Channel V.
He has appeared in a few Hindi TV shows like ‘The Great Indian Comedy Show’ (2004; Star One as various characters), ‘Ranvir Vinay Aur Kaun?’ (2007; Star One as host), ‘Fear Factor: Khatron Ke Khiladi Darr Ka Blockbuster’ (2014; Colors as contestant), and ‘Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa 7’ (2014; Colors as host).
In 2002, he made his Bollywood debut with ‘Ek Chotisi Love Story’ in which he played the role of Manisha’s boyfriend.
He has appeared in various Hindi films like ‘Lakshya’ (2004), ‘Khosla Ka Ghosla’ (2006), ‘Bheja Fry’ (2007), ‘Singh Is Kinng’ (2008), and ‘Sonchiriya’ (2019).
Ranvir has acted in various Hindi web series such as ‘Rangbaaz’ (2018; Zee5), ‘Sacred Games’ (2019; Netflix), ‘Bombers’ (2019; Zee5), ‘Sunflower’ (2021; Zee5), and ‘Tabbar’ (2021; SonyLIV).
He has appeared in various short films like ‘Saamne Yeh Kaun’ (1999), ‘Mera Dil Hain Hindustani’ (2000), and ‘Shame’ (2018).
He has performed in various Hindi and English theatre plays.
In 2010, he appeared in the Hindi TV film ‘Kaam Ka Plot,’ which aired on Zoom.
- 2017: FOI Online Award for Best Performance by an Ensemble Cast for the Hindi film A Death in the Gunj
- 2019: Gold Award for Best Performance by an Actor in a Comic Role for the Hindi web series Metro Park
- 2019: FOI Online Award for Best Actor in a Supporting Role for the Hindi film Sonchiriya
- 2019: FOI Online Award for Best Performance by an Ensemble Cast for the Hindi film Sonchiriya
- 2019: Indian Film Award for Best Actor (Critics) for the Hindi film Halkaa
- 2019: Dadasaheb Phalke Film Foundation Award
- 2020: Mid-Day India Award for Iconic Versatile Actor
- 2021: Asian Television Award for Best Actor in a Supporting Role for the Hindi web series Sunflower
- 2021: Gold Academy Award
- 2023: Stardust Award
- 2023: Mid-Day Influencer Award
Mahindra XUV 700
- In an interview, he shared that in his childhood, his family used to live in a two-storey apartment on rent. However, after his father’s films flopped, his family faced various financial difficulties.
- He once shared that he was named after the Indian actor and producer Raj Kapoor (real name Ranbir Raj). However, Shorey’s name was misspelt at the time of his admission to school and Ranbir became Ranvir.
- While he was studying in school, he used to participate in various extra-curricular activities like dramatics and debate competitions.
- He is trained in playing the sitar and guitar.
- In 2014, he helped set up the Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) in Mumbai. However, he ended his association with the party after the founding members Prashant Bhushan and Yogendra Yadav were removed from the party.
He had started his association with the party at the time of Anna Hazare’s India Against Corruption protests. Later, he started supporting Swaraj Abhiyan, an Indian political party.
- Ranvir Shorey follows a non-vegetarian diet.
- On his self-titled YouTube channel, he has uploaded a few of his work videos.
- In his leisure time, he enjoys travelling, reading books, and singing.
- To remain fit, he regularly practices Yoga.
- He is often spotted smoking cigarettes and consuming alcohol at parties and events.
- The Indian actors Rajat Kapoor and Vinay Pathak are his long-time friends.
- In an interview, when he was asked if he would participate in the reality TV show Bigg Boss. He replied,
I will go to Bigg Boss when I think I want to die. Every year they call me and every year I ask them to call me next year. Luckily, every year I get some work to sail through the year.”