Raaj Shaandilyaa is an Indian scriptwriter, story writer, dialogue writer, screenplay writer, producer, director, and actor. He is popular for writing scripts for famous comedy TV shows and directing comedy films including the Dream Girl film series.
- 1 Wiki/Biography
- 2 Physical Appearance
- 3 Family & Caste
- 4 Relationships/Affairs
- 5 Religion/Religious Views
- 6 Career
- 7 Controversies
- 8 Awards, Honours, Achievements
- 9 Bike Collection
- 10 Car Collection
- 11 Facts/Trivia
Raaj Shaandilyaa (also spelt as Raaj Shaandilya) was born on Monday, 16 September 1985 (age 37 years; as of 2023) in Jhansi, Uttar Pradesh. His zodiac sign is Virgo.
He completed his schooling at Shri Guru Nanak Khalsa Inter College, Jhansi. He was interested in writing short plays and stories during his teenage years; however, his parents wanted him to pursue an engineering career, hence he moved to Delhi in 2003 to study further. While living in Delhi, he started working as a salesman and sold recipe books of noted chef Sanjeev Kapoor.
In 2005, he moved to Bhopal and pursued an engineering degree at NRI Group of Institutions, Bhopal where he continued his hobby of writing. While studying in college, he started working as a writer for an anchor at the ETV Madhya Pradesh channel and got Rs 300 for 10 episodes. In 2006, he organised a talent hunt competition organised by Dainik Jagran where he met composer Shhailendra Kkumar, and on 6 September 2006, he boarded the Punjab Mail train from Bhopal and came to Mumbai.
In Mumbai, he met singer Ashoo Tewari, and in 2007, he met singer Ganesh Patil. After struggling for a few months, he came back to Bhopal for his studies; however, he later got work in 2007 as a scriptwriter and came back to Mumbai to pursue a career in the entertainment field.
Height (approx.): 5′ 10″
Weight (approx.): 80 kg
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Black
Family & Caste
He belongs to a middle-class Brahmin family.
Parents & Siblings
His father’s name is Rajender Sharma, and his mother’s name is Sheelu Sharma. He has an elder sister named Chanchal.
Wife & Children
He got married to Vershaa Kashyap on 12 December 2019. He has a son named Viraaj Shaandilyaa, who was born on 16 September 2022.
He has a maternal nephew named Aadi.
He had a 13-year relationship with Vershaa Kashyap before marrying her in 2019.
He follows Hinduism and is a devoted follower of Lord Ganesha.
In 2007, he worked on a TV show (now known as Bakwaas Band Kar) for the 9X TV channel. He later wrote his first script for the sixth episode of the comedy show Comedy Circus in its first season in 2007 which was broadcasted on Sony TV.
He got this position with the role of comedian Vijay Ishwarlal Pawar (better known as V.I.P.). His first script was for VIP and Swapnil Joshi. From 2007 to 2013, he wrote more than 1000 scripts for different comedians including Krushna Abhishek, Sudesh Lehri, and Kapil Sharma. He later worked as a writer in many comedy TV shows including Comedy Nights With Kapil.
Story, Screenplay, and Dialogue Writer
His first film as a dialogue writer was Welcome Back in 2015. His debut film as a screenplay and story writer was Freaky Ali in 2016. In 2017, he wrote the screenplay and dialogues of Bhoomi, the comeback film of Sanjay Dutt after his release from jail. In 2022, he made his OTT debut as a story writer and producer with the web series, The Great Weddings of Munnes.
Producer & Director
His debut film as a director was Dream Girl in 2019, featuring Ayushmann Khurrana, which was praised by critics for its storyline; he also wrote the story of the film. In October 2016, he started his own Production house ThinkInk Picturez Ltd. His first film as a producer was Janhit Mein Jaari in 2022, featuring Nushrratt Bharuccha; he also wrote the story and screenplay of the film.
In 2023, he directed Dream Girl 2; he also wrote the story of the film. In 2023, he announced the names of seven films to be made under his production banner ThinkInk Picturez Ltd.
He made his acting debut in the Television comedy show The Great Indian Family Drama in 2013.
Online Feud with Swara Bhaskar
On 7 January 2020, Raaj Shaandilyaa tweeted that people should not pay attention to cheap tricks, Dainik Bhaskar is costlier than Swara Bhaskar. Swara Bhaskar replied to him by tweeting that Raaj should also think about his cheap antics before sending films for promotion or asking her for any roles. Raaj later apologised to her and said that she should think about the country or people before saying anything about anyone. He later said that he would offer her acting roles happily as he does not have any problem with her acting.
In July 2022, before the release of his film Janhit Mei Jaari, writers Jitendra Gyanchandani and Gautam Prasad Shaw accused Raaj of copying their story for his film. Gautam alleged that he pitched the film to Raaj in June 2020 who announced his film in November 2022. They complained against him at the Screen Writers Association and at Versove Police Station. Raaj responded to these allegations by terming them baseless and said that he had registered the story way before the writer duo in 2017.
Awards, Honours, Achievements
- Best Writer Award at the Indian Telly Awards in 2011 and 2012
- Honoured by the Lokhandwala Punjabi Association and Punjabi Global Foundation on 13 April 2013
- Record of writing most scripts for Comedy Circus (2007-2013) and name recorded in Limca Book of Records on 22 April 2013
- Honoured by Mithibai College in 2014
- Honoured at Jhansi Jan Mahotsav in January 2016
- Samaj Ratna Samman by District Brahmin Association, Palwal
- Guest of Honour at B.V.N. Sr. Sec. School, Khambi
- Guest of Honour at ET-E-TG on 21 December 2021
- 28th Lions Gold Award for Janhit Mein Jaari in 2022
- Satyajit Ray Icon Cinema Award 2022
- Tycoon Emerging Producer of the Year at Tycoon Global Achiever’s Awards 2023
He owns a Honda bike.
He owns a Jaguar F Pace SUV, BMW 530 Sports and a Mahindra Thar SUV.
- His wife fondly calls him by his nickname Kuku and has tattooed I Love Kuku on her finger.
- In 2002, while studying in 12th standard, he also wrote a few songs for a music album of his friend.
- His first cheque as a scriptwriter for Comedy Circus was Rs 23000.
- He is known for posting photos with funny captions on social media.
आज एक सवाल…लड़कियों को सपनों का ‘राजकुमार’ ही क्यों चाहिए…???सपनों का प्लम्बर, कचरेवाला, केबल वाला, परचूने वाला इत्यादि क्यों नहीं????
— Raaj Shaandilyaa (@writerraj) January 30, 2023
- He likes playing cricket and is a very good bowler. In a Facebook post, he posted a photo of himself with the Indian cricketer Harbhajan Singh and wrote that if he had not become a writer, he would have been a cricketer.
- He is also a good singer and has won many local singing competitions during his school and college days.