Jaspreet Singh is a prominent stand-up comedian in the Indian comedy circuit. He is known for his innocent looks and sharp observational skills. His content is mostly based on his personal stories. He shot to fame when his YouTube video “Dad,Savings aur Milk” went viral in 2017.
Jaspreet Singh was born in the year 1979 (age 31 years; as of 2020). He hails from Batala near Amritsar, Punjab. He did his schooling at Sri Guru Harkrishan Public School, Amritsar. Jaspreet pursued a Bachelor of Technology in Computer Science (2007-2011) at Guru Nanak Dev University, Amritsar.
Height (approx.): 5′ 11″
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Black
Family & Caste
Parents & Siblings
His father is a banker. Not much is known about his mother. His elder brother’s name is Harpreet Singh.
Relationships & Wife
Jaspreet got married to Harneet Kaur on 11 December 2016 (Sunday). She was his high school sweetheart.
After completing B.Tech., Jaspreet started working as a software engineer at Samsung Research Institute, Noida, Uttar Pradesh. While working at Samsung, he was first introduced to stand-up comedy by one of his friends. Later, he joined Sapient in Gurgaon (an American IT company) and worked there as a Senior Associate from April 2015 to January 2018.
As a Comedian
Since childhood, Jaspreet wanted to make people laugh. He loved listening to cassettes of famous Indian comedians such as Bhagwant Mann and Johnny Lever. In 6th standard, he wrote in someone’s slam book that he wanted to be a comedian.
While working at Sapient, Jaspreet started attending open mics. As of 2020, he has done 700+ shows and performed in over 60 cities in India, the USA, Australia, the United Kingdom, Vietnam, Qatar, and U.A.E. His solo shows “Tu Toh Chup Hi Reh” and “Koi Load Nahi” together have sold more than 23k tickets.
In an interview, when asked about his favourite genre of comedy that he liked to perform, he said,
Merko comedy real life wali karni achi lagti hai. Jo bhi main bolun log kahe ki haan ye ho sakta hai. Meri problem hai I cannot write fiction, main jinte bhi jokes karta hun and stories karta hun unka meri life se koi na koi connection hota hai. Toh usme do genre aate hai anecdoctal and observational aur mera content dono ka thoda mix sa hai.”
He uploaded his first YouTube video “Dad,Savings aur Milk” in anticipation of the video crossing 1 lakh views so that he could good get corporate shows. But that video went viral, and he became popular overnight. Later, the video went on to have more than 10 million views on YouTube.
Jaspreet Singh has a podcast titled “Thoda Chill Thoda Grill” on the Gaana app. He also has a show on YouTube titled “Jassi Doesn’t Like It,” where he criticizes things he doesn’t like on the internet.
Comedian(s): Abhishek Upmanyu, Sumit Anand, Louis C.K., Kevin Hart
Travelling Destination(s): Gold Coast (Australia), Shillong (Meghalaya)
Singer: Amrinder Gill
Jaspreet drives a Royal Enfield Bullet.
- He also goes by the name Jassi.
- Jaspreet likes to drink occasionally.
- Jaspreet did theatre, wrote scripts, and was a part of his college’s Bhangra dance group. This is where he realized his love for the stage.
- Jaspreet faced a lot of struggle at the beginning of his career. Once, only 7 people turned up for his show. He was a bit disheartened, but he didn’t give up and performed for 85 minutes, leaving his audience in fits of laughter.
- He is the third Indian stand-up comic to perform in Dublin, Ireland.
- He faces a lot of criticism for making jokes about his family. Once, he responded to that by saying that he came from a very funny family, and they all make fun of each other. He says that his sense of humour comes from his family.