Gaurav Chakrabarty is an Indian actor and editor who majorly works in Bengali films and television shows. He is known for playing the role of Byomkesh Bakshi in the Bengali TV show ‘Byomkesh’ (2014).
Gaurav Chakrabarty was born on Monday, 6 March 1989 (age 33 years; as of 2022) in Kolkata. His zodiac sign is Pisces. He did his schooling at The Assembly of God Church School, Kolkata. In 2005, he got himself enrolled at St. Xavier’s College to pursue a bachelor of science in Mass Communication & Video Production. For his master’s, he went to the Film and Television Institute of India, Pune, where he completed a postgraduate course in Video Editing.
Height (approx.): 5′ 6″
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Black
Gaurav Chakrabarty belongs to a Bengali family.
Parents & Siblings
Gaurav’s father, Sabyasachi Chakraborty, is an Indian actor who works in the Bengali film industry. In an interview, while talking about his relationship with his family, he said,
I do not feel pressurised by my parents. Neither does my younger brother Arjun. My father is quiet but gives suggestions if asked. Maa is very encouraging and profuse in her appreciation. I did a bit of theatre in our home group Charkbak after graduation but working with my father made me wobbly in the knees. I admire my brother’s work very much. We have a great relationship and love to bask in each other’s glory. There is no sense of competition at all”.
His mother, Mithu Chakrabarty, is a Bengali television actress. His elder brother, Arjun Chakrabarty, is also an actor in the Bengali entertainment industry.
On 28 November 2017, Gaurav Chakrabarty got married to his longtime girlfriend Ridhima Ghosh, who is a renowned Bengali actress.
Gaurav started his journey in the entertainment industry as a theatre artist. He was a part of the theatre group Charbak, where he not only assisted in the backstage work but also played the role of Topshe in the play Apsara Theatre-er Mamla. During his college days, he played a lead role in the documentary ‘Isolation,’ which was based on HIV-Aids.
Bengali Television shows
In 2010, Gaurav made his debut along with his younger brother Arjun Chakrabarty in the TV show Gaaner Opare, which aired on Star Jalsha. In an interview, while talking about his role in the show Gaaner Opare, he said,
Gaaner Oparey happened a few years later. My character was to run through three months but the tremendous popularity of the serial extended my role till the end. Gaaner Oparey, I think, was the greatest hit on Bengali satellite channels but the producers refused to extend it and that was the right thing to do.”
His next successful TV show was Byomkesh (2011), which was aired on Colors Bangla in which he played the lead role of Byomkesh.
Some of his popular Bengali Television shows as an actor are Adwitiya (2011), Mahanayak (2016), and Gupi Gayen (2019).
In 2011, Gaurav made his debut with the Bengali comedy film ‘Rang Milanti’ in which he played the role of Kaushik. After that, he appeared in the award-winning film Laptop (2012).
In 2014, he appeared in the film Apur Panchali in which he played the role of Arko. In an interview, while talking about his character in the film, he narrated,
I played Arko, a student of direction at the SRFTI, who accompanies the ageing Subir Banerjee, the actor who portrayed Apu in Ray’s Pather Panchali, to Germany. We represent the present. The film flashes back into the past to unfold the story of the younger Subir who was neither seen nor heard of after Pather Panchali. A fictitious story, it focusses on the tragedy of child actors who disappear. Ardhendu Banerjee, who played the older Subir and I, developed a wonderful bond. He is not only a great actor but also an educationist who retired from the IAS some years back”.
He has worked in various other Bengali films including Highway (2014), Aagun (2014), Fakebook (2015), Gangster (2016), Double Feluda (2018), and Abar Kanchanjungha (2022). In an interview, he talked about playing various roles in the films and said,
Koushik Ganguly has given me the greatest scope. He gave me my break in Baghnokh, followed by Rang Milanti, a frothy, youth-centred love story, and then a very different role in Laptop and now Apur Panchali. My role in Atanu Ghosh’s Roopkatha Noy was of a newly-married husband who tries to cope with a bride who is forever running away. In Haranath Chakraborty’s Chhayamoy, I play the sixth generation of a royal family. Aashbo Aar Ek Din, directed by Abhijit Dasgupta, was a different cup of tea. Each director brings in a different learning experience and I feel lucky to have been able to learn from them”.
Gaurav Chakrabarty has edited a few documentaries including Sobar Sera Gorumara (2010) and Exam (2013). He has also edited a short film named Bumper (2017).
- In 2012, he was awarded the Star Guide Bengali Film Awards for Best Male Debut for the film Rang Milanti (2011).
- In 2012, he was awarded the Star Jalsha Parivaar Awards for Sobcheye Priyo Khalnayak for the Bengali Television show Adwitiya (2011).
- In 2015, he was awarded the Tele Academy Award for Best Actor in a leading role for the television series Byomkesh (2014).
- In 2016, he was awarded the Solo Room Award for his Contribution to Bengali Film Industry.
- In 2019, he was awarded the AAHAN International Short Film Festival for Best editing in the short film Bumper (2017).
- In 2021, he was awarded the Films and Frames Digital Film Awards for Best Supporting Actor Male for the film Lalbazaar (2020).
- Gaurav’s hobbies include travelling, singing, photography, reading books, and shopping.
- In an interview, Gaurav shared his bucket list and said that it includes visiting every continent. Further, he added that Darjeeling is his favourite location.
- He follows a non-vegetarian diet.
- In 2020, the Zee5 series Laalbazar casts Gaurav Chakrabarty appeared in a Bengali web series Laalbazar alongside his father Sabyasachi Chakraborty; however, they didn’t share the same frame. In an interview, Gaurav Chakrabarty talked about this and said,
Unfortunately, I had no scenes with him. We were on set together at times but we didn’t have any scenes where we interacted with each other.
- Gaurav is often featured in various newspapers and magazines.
- He is often spotted consuming alcohol on various occasions.
- In an interview, Gaurav shared that his father advised him to pursue a technical course before shifting his career to the entertainment industry. He quoted,
Over time, it was acting that attracted me. But my father advised me to take up a technical course so that I could fall back on a technique that is always in demand. I like editing.”