Anita Dongre is an Indian fashion designer and entrepreneur. She is the founder of the Indian fashion house, “House of Anita Dongre.”
Anita Dongre was born on Thursday, 3 October 1963 (age 56 years; as in 2019) in Bandra, West Mumbai. Her zodiac sign is Libra. Her family has its roots in Jaipur. Anita’s father moved to Mumbai just a few months before her birth. She was attracted towards fashion from a very young age. She got inspired by the women in her house who used to create beautiful stuff using raw fabrics. She did her graduation in commerce from Mumbai’s NM college. Thereafter, Dongre got herself enrolled in Mumbai’s SNDT University to get a degree in fashion. Afterwards, she did an internship with the erstwhile royal family of Dhrangadhra, Gujarat.
Height (approx.): 5′ 4″
Hair Colour: Dark Brown
Eye Colour: Black
Family & Caste
Parents & Siblings
Anita Dongre belongs to a Sindhi Hindu Family. Her father is a businessman. Her mother’s name is Pushpa Sawlani. She has two sisters, Meena Sehra and Priyanka Hira, and a younger brother, Mukesh Sawlani.
Husband & Children
Anita Dongre is married to Pravin Dongre, a businessman. The couple has a son, Yash Dongre.
Anita is very close to her mother-in-law, Shalini Dongre (a retired teacher).
After completing her graduation, Anita Dongre started designing clothes for local boutiques. She supplied clothes to the boutiques for around 12 years. After a few years, Anita started experimenting with the western wear and created a collection of clothes for the young women, but, none of the shops agreed to accept it. So, it was then that she decided to sell them herself, and Anita Dongre Designs was born. She started the business with her younger sister, Meena Sehra, from a small 300 square foot area in 1995. Her fashion house, House of Anita Dongre, shelters four distinct brands, namely, AND (western wear), Global Desi (ethnic wear), Anita Dongre (bridal, couture prêt, menswear), and Anita Dongre Grassroot (organic clothes). In addition to apparel brands, Anita has also launched a jewellery brand named “Pink City” under her fashion house.
- GR8 Flo Women Achievers Award for ‘Excellence in Fashion Design’ (2008)
- ‘Excellence in Fashion Design’ Award by The Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry Ladies Organization, Bombay Chapter (2013)
- EY Entrepreneur of the year award (2014)
- Pantene Shine Award for helping women shine
- Fame Award for ‘Outstanding Entrepreneur – Fashion and Lifestyle’ (2020)
- Travel Destination(s): Paris, New York
- Her hobbies include travelling and listening to music.
- She follows a vegan diet.
- Anita is an animal lover and has five pet dogs. Two of them are named Cookie and Buzo.
- Her mentor’s name is Ritambhara.
- Dongre has featured on the cover of the Harper Bazaar magazine.
- Anita Dongre hails from a traditional Hindu family where women were meant to do all the household chores and were not allowed to work.
- She is the first female from her family to become an entrepreneur. None of the women in her extended family of 50 cousins ever worked anywhere.
- Anita got inspired to work with the fabrics after seeing her mother who was a skilled artist and used to stitch clothes for Dongre and her siblings when they were young.
- As in 2020, her brand ‘AND’ has around 41 exclusive stores in the country and around 200 other established multi-brand lifestyle stores, like Shoppers’ Stop, Lifestyle, Central, Kapsons & Pantaloon. Her brand ‘Global Desi’ has around 54 exclusive stores and 130 MBO’s in India.
- Initially, Anita’s father lent her the capital to start her business, for which he charged her interest.
- Her brother, Mukesh Sawlani, and sister, Meena Sehra, handle the operations department of her fashion house while Anita focuses on the design part.
- Dongre has achieved international acclaim and has dressed some of the World’s most influential faces, including Hillary Clinton and Kim Kardashian.