Sanjay Puran Singh Chauhan is an Indian director and screenwriter, who predominantly works in the Hindi film industry. He is best known for his internationally acclaimed film Lahore (2010). He is a recipient of several prominent awards.
Sanjay Puran Singh Chauhan was born on Monday, 8 September 1975 (age 48 Years; as of 2023) in Gwalior, Madhya Pradesh, India. His zodiac sign is Virgo. As a child, Sanjay was passionate about reading comic books which locked his interest in storytelling. He was also into sports in his school days and loved to play cricket a lot. He was also a kickboxing champion in his college days.
Height (approx.): 5′ 8″
Hair Colour: Dark Brown
Eye Colour: Dark Brown
Parents & Siblings
Not much is known about his parents.
Sanjay Puran Singh Chauhan is married to Kiran Singh Chauhan.
Sanjay Puran Singh Chauhan made his directorial debut in 2010 with the Hindi film Lahore.
Besides being a director, he also contributed as a story writer and dialogue writer in the film. The film was screened at several international film festivals. The film was also screened at the 6th Jagran Film Festival in Raipur and Meerut. Although the film received international acclaim, it was not released in Pakistan as it was regarded that the film portrayed Pakistan in a bad light.
In 2021, he worked as a writer in the Hindi-language biographical sports drama film 83. In 2023, he worked as a director and editor in the Hindi film 72 Hoorain (Bahattar Hoorain). The film portrays the influence of terrorist organization leaders who manipulate Muslim youth into engaging in acts of jihad against non-Muslims, enticing them with promises of paradise (Jannat) and encouraging them to commit acts of violence and murder.
In 2023, he was working on the Hindi film Gorkha as a director, screenplay writer, and dialogues writer. The film stars Akshay Kumar in the lead role.
Accused of Hurting Religious Sentiments
In 2023, a Mumbai-based social activist Saiyad Arifali Mahemmodali (Syed Arif Ali) filed a police complaint against the makers of the Hindi film 72 Hoorain at the Goregaon Police Station in Mumbai. Directing his complaint towards film producer Ashoke Pandit and film director Sanjay Puran Singh Chauhan, Saiyad accused them of hurting religious sentiments and attempting to divide the country through their film. A complaint was also filed against the film before the Central Board of Film Certification (CBFC) seeking a ban on the film. The individual filing the complaint alleged that the film contains material that defames the Muslim community, thereby encouraging discrimination based on religious divisions. Additionally, the complainant expressed their disappointment regarding an ongoing trend in the Bollywood industry where religion is exploited solely for financial gain. The complaint emphasized that such practices have negative consequences for society, fostering an atmosphere of prejudice and discord. The complainant also acknowledged the significance of upholding the principles of freedom of speech and expression. They stressed the need to prevent the misuse of these rights to spread hatred or cause harm to any religious community.
Awards & Honours
- National Film Award for Best Debut Film for the film Lahore (2010)
- 42nd Worldfest, Houston International Film Festival, US, for Best Film, Special Jury Award for the film Lahore (2010)
- International Indian Film Academy Award for Writer – Best Story (Adapted) for the film 83 (2022)
International Film Festival of India
- ICFT-UNESCO GANDHI MEDAL “Special Mention” at 50th International Film Festival of India, Goa for Bahattar Hoorain (2019)
- Jury Member at the 63rd National Film Awards (2016)
- Jury member feature film, Indian Panorama at 51st International Film Festival of India, Goa (2021)
- Jury member (selection) for ’75 Creative Minds of the Tomorrow’, at 52nd International Film Festival of India, Goa (2021)
- Sanjay Puran Singh Chauhan loves reading books in his leisure time.
- In a social media post, Sanjay revealed that during his struggling days, he used to live in Brooklyn in an apartment without a heater. He also shared that during those days, he used to do plays for even 50 bucks.
- In an interview, Sanjay revealed that he has not studied filmmaking and has learned everything by watching films in theatres.
- He is passionate about exploring the mysteries of outer space and keeps sharing pictures and information related to space and astronauts.
- An avid dog lover, Sanjay owns two pet dogs. One of them is named Mi-Hija.
- In 2010, Sanjay was directing the Hindi film Dhuaan. However, it got shelved.
- In 2023, before the release of his Hindi film 72 Hoorain, Sanjay received several death threats on his social media handles. Not just Sanjay, even his mother received abusive messages and rape threats.
- Apparently, Sanjay Puran Singh Chauhan was once approached by a production house that produced films like Gerard Butler starrer 300 and Robert De Niro and Drew Barrymore starrer Everybody’s Fine for the remake of his 2010 Hindi film Lahore.