Ronnie Coleman is a retired American bodybuilder, a former police officer, and a rugby player. He won 8 consecutive Mr Olympia titles and is considered one of the most hardworking, strong, and genetically gifted bodybuilders. He is the first bodybuilder to win Arnold Classic and Mr Olympia in the same year in 2001.
Ronnie Dean Coleman was born on Wednesday, 13 May 1964 (age 58 years; as of 2022) in Monroe, Louisiana, US. His zodiac sign is Taurus. He did his schooling at Bastrop High School. He holds a bachelor’s degree of science in accounting from Grambling State University (GSU) in Grambling, Louisiana. He played athletics and powerlifting during his school days and played Rugby as a middle linebacker with the GSU Tigers under coach Eddie Robinson. After completing his graduation, he could not find any job as an accountant, hence he started working at Domino’s Pizza. On 20 March 1989, he became a Police officer in Arlington, Texas and worked regularly till 2000 and as a reserve officer till 25 July 2003.
Height (approx.): 5′ 11″
Weight (approx.): 135 kg
Hair Colour: Bald
Eye Colour: Black
Body Measurements (approx.): Chest 60″, Waist 36″, Biceps 24″
Parents & Siblings
His mother’s name was Jessie Benton. He has 2 elder brothers named Alain Lemieux and Richard Lemieux.
Wife & Children
His first wife’s name is Rоuаіdа Сhrіѕtіnе Асhkаr, a French-Lebanese personal trainer, and he married her on December 28, 2007, after dating her for 9 years. After he divorced Rouaida, he started dating another personal trainer, Susan Williamson and married her on 11 April 2016. He has 8 kids, including 2 girls from his first marriage, 2 girls from Susan’s first marriage to another person, and 4 girls from his second marriage.
He dated an American bodybuilder Vickie Gates from 1992 to 1997.
He follows Christianity and said during an interview that he believes in god and the destiny of a man, which is written by god himself. He said,
I’ve had a good Christian background. We’ve always believed in God, and for the most part I’ve always believed that we’re all here for a purpose, and everybody has a purpose in life – a calling. My calling is to be Mr. Olympia. It reiterates and confirms the reason why I’m Mr. Olympia, and the reason why I’m Mr. Olympia is because God has chosen that destiny for me.
After Ronnie joined the Police academy, Gustavo Arlotta, a fellow Police officer asked Ronnie Coleman about his physique and his gym, to which Ronnie replied that he only worked out in the Police academy. Gustavo asked Ronnie to go to the Metroflex gym in Texas with him to train, where Brian Dobson, an amateur bodybuilder and owner of the Metroflex gym, was impressed with Ronnie’s physique. He convinced Ronnie to train for the 1990 Mr Texas Competition in lieu of permanent gym membership. After training for about 4 months, he won first place in both, heavyweight and overall categories, defeating Brian Dobson as well. After this win, he started to pursue bodybuilding more seriously as he saw an opportunity to make more money. In 1991, he won first place in the heavyweight category at IFBB World Amateur Championships. In 1995, he won the Canada Pro Cup, which was his first win as a professional bodybuilder. In 1996, he won Canada Cup again and won the Russian Grand Prix in 1997. From the early 1990s till the mid-1990s, he participated in several powerlifting competitions as well. In 1998, he won the Toronto Invitational tournament. In 1999, he won World Pro Championships and England Grand Prix. In 2000, he won the England Grand Prix and World Pro Championships again. In 2001, he won the Arnold Classic and New Zealand Grand Prix. In 2002, he won the Holland Grand Prix. In 2003, he won the Russian Grand Prix. In 2004, he won the Russian Grand Prix, Holland Grand Prix, and England Grand Prix.
Mr Olympia Legacy
Ronnie participated for the first time in 1992 Mr Olympia and was not ranked and was eliminated in the first screening round. In 1994, he secured the 15th position. In 1995, he secured the 10th position. In 1996, he got the 6th position. In 1997, he secured the 9th position. After the winner of Mr Olympia from 1992 to 1997, Dorian Yates retired in 1997, Ronnie defeated everyone to earn the first position in the 1998 Mr Olympia. His popularity grew leaps and bounds after this win, and he toured several places to endorse several products like gym wear, gym equipment, and supplements. He won 8 consecutive Mr Olympia Titles from 1998 to 2005. In 2006, he lost to Jay Cutler, another American bodybuilder, in the final round and got the second position. In 2007, he participated for the final time in Mr Olympia and won 4th position. He retired from professional bodybuilding after the 2007 Mr Olympia competition.
Ronnie Coleman is regarded as one of the heaviest bodybuilders with the least body fat. In an interview, he said that he trained back twice a week and regarded squats and deadlifts as the best exercises. He also listed the best exercise for each body part.
- Hamstrings: Walking Lunges
- Delts: Seated Barbell Press
- Traps: Barbell Shrugs Behind the Back
- Upper Back: Weighted Pull-Ups With a Wide, Reverse Grip
- Triceps: Lying Triceps Extension
Diet and Supplements
His diet during his bodybuilding career consisted of 65% protein, 20-25% carbs, and 5-10% fat with around 5000 calories. He ate 6 meals a day at an interval of 3-4 hours and even woke up in the middle of the night to eat his food. His diet included coffee, egg whites, grit, cheese, red beans, chicken breast, brown rice, and baked potato. He took various supplements like joint capsules, Vitamin C capsules, Vitamin E capsules, Multi-mineral capsules, and CoQ10 for heart health.
Bodybuilders in general, are often accused of taking steroids to gain size, and in 2020, Ronnie Coleman revealed that he began taking steroids at the age of 30 after he lost several competitions; however, he said that he got prescriptions from the doctors for the steroids and never did anything illegal. His competitors often accused him of taking steroids; however, he denied taking any illegal supplement and credited his genetics and hard work for his physique. He got his blood tests done after every 3-4 months to ensure his body stayed normal and did not develop any health ailment.
Ronnie Coleman lifted very heavy weights during his bodybuilding career, due to which, he suffered multiple injuries and underwent more than 10 surgeries in his 50s. He underwent spinal fusion surgery, disc decompression surgery, and hip replacement surgery. In October 2018, he said that he might get crippled and need help walking. As of 2022, he uses a wheelchair and a walking frame.
Not many details are available about his bike collection; however, he rode bikes during his youth and owned multiple bikes.
He owns 2 Cadillac Escalades, a Bentley, a Hummer H1, a Dodge Viper, a Rolls Royce Phantom, and a Lamborghini Gallardo.
As of 2020, he has a net worth of $10 million.
- He was a studious child and earned an academic scholarship for graduation. He was an honour roll student, a President’s List student, and a Dean’s List student in his school. He graduated with honours from Grambling State University.
- While working at Domino’s Pizza, he ate a complimentary pizza every day as he could not afford any other meal.
- In 2001, he became the first man to win Mr Olympia and Arnold Classic in the same year.
- Ronnie Coleman has won 8 Mr Olympia titles, which is the maximum number of Mr Olympia titles. Only Lee Haney, another American bodybuilder, has won the same number of Mr Olympia titles.
- He won 26 IFBB Professional Tournaments in his career, the second-highest number of IFBB Pro wins.
- He owns a sports and health supplement and gym wear company known as Ronnie Coleman Nutrition and Ronnie Coleman Signature Series.
- He was awarded the Arnold Classic Lifetime Achievement Award in 2021 Arnold Classic.
- He has a YouTube channel with his own name Ronnie Coleman and won the Silver Play Button Award from YouTube for surpassing 100 thousand subscribers in 2014.
- He would cut down to 0.33% body fat during the preparation for Mr Olympia.
- He is considered one of the strongest bodybuilders and once did 2 squats with 800 pounds.
- Several documentaries have been made on him and his preparation for Mr Olympia.
- His nicknames are Big Arm, Big Ron, and The King.
- His voice has a lisp, and he used catchphrases like lightweight baby, which are very popular among his fans.
- On 2 May 2022, he released 1,410 limited edition NFTs which provided permission to work out at Coleman’s private gym in Orlando, Florida, a chance to win a Tesla Model 3, entrance into private group chats with Ronnie, and discounts on products and exclusive merch.
- He weighed around 70 kg and had a height of 5′ 10″ when he was 12 years old.
- He had not heard and did not know anything about Mr Olympia when he started training at the Metroflex gym under Brian Dobson.