Rohit Khandelwal is an Indian model, actor, and television personality. He is known for being the first Asian to win Mr World 2016 title.
Rohit Khandelwal was born on Saturday, 19 August 1989 (age 33 years; as of 2022) in Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh (now in Telangana). His zodiac sign is Leo.
He pursued B.Com at Aurora’s Degree College, Hyderabad, Telangana.
Height: 5′ 11”
Weight (approx.): 65 kg
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Brown
Body Measurements (approx.): Chest 40″, Waist 32″, Biceps 15″
Rohit belongs to a Marwari family from Rajasthan.
Parents & Siblings
His father, Raj Kumar Khandelwal, is a businessman. His mother’s name is Suman Latha Khandelwal. His brother, Rahul Khandelwal, works at a private firm named Rosetta Stone.
He started his career as a ground staff at the Indian airline SpiceJet.
After working there for six months, he started working as a technical support assistant at Dell Computers. In an interview, while talking about doing corporate jobs, he said,
It all started when I joined the Spicejet as a ground staff member, somehow I found that place not very suitable for me as it has lot of restrictions and then I started working in Dell as a technical support assistant. They gave me a graveyard timing for the shift at night 12 0′ clock I didn’t find myself fitting there. I was clueless. I wanted to achieve something more and that is when I moved to Mumbai -the city of dreams.”
After leaving his job at Dell Computers, he started working at the financial services company HSBC.
After quitting his job at HSBC, he moved to Mumbai from Hyderabad in Andhra Pradesh to make his career in acting. In 2011, he made his acting debut with a Hindi short film ‘The Journey’ in which he played the role of Siddarth. In 2022, he appeared in other Hindi short film ‘Chalti Rahe Zindagi’ as Akash.
In 2014, he made his television debut with the Hindi TV serial ‘Yeh Hai Aashiqui’ in which he played the role of Veer. The show was aired on Bindass.
Rohit has acted in a few other Hindi TV serials like ‘Million Dollar Girl’ (2014; Channel V), ‘Pyaar Tune Kya Kiya’ (2015; Zing), and ‘MTV Big F’ (2015; MTV).
In 2013, Rohit was featured in his first TV commercial for Malabar Gold alongside Bollywood actress Kareena Kapoor.
He has appeared in many TV commercials like Duhita & Manav, Himalaya Quista PRO, Jio, and Kamal Watch Company.
Rohit has walked the ramp in various fashion shows.
He has also been featured in print advertisements for various brands like Raymond and Myntra.
Rohit participated in the beauty pageant Mr India held in Club Royalty, Mumbai on 23 July 2015. He was declared the winner of the title. The first runner-up in the beauty pageant was Rahul Rajasekharan Nair and Prateek Gujral finished as the second runner-up. In the sub-contest of the beauty pageant, Rohit won Stay-On Mr Active and Provogue Personal Care Best Actor.
He then represented India at Mr World contest which was held in England at Southport Theatre & Convention Centre, Southport on 19 July 2016. He became the first Asian to win the contest and received a cash prize of $50,000. The contestants Fernando Álvarez from Puerto Rico and Aldo Ramirez from Mexico were declared as the first and second runner-ups respectively.
In the final round of the contest, Rohit was asked to propose the host of the event Megan Young (Miss World 2013). Rohit proposed to her in a Bollywood style by saying Shah Rukh Khan’s dialogue ‘Kitni shiddat se maine tumhe paane ki koshish ki hai’ from the 2007 Hindi film ‘Om Shanti Om.’ His style impressed the host and judges of the event.
He has been featured in various music videos like “Rehne Do Zara” (2019) by Madhubanti Bagchi, “Puchda Hi Nahin” (2019) by Neha Kakkar, “Nikaah” (2022) by Ipsitaa Khullar, and “Khuda Badal Diya” (2022) by Sumit Bhalla.
- Food: French Toast, Masala Dosa
- Song(s): Kaise Hua from Kabir Singh (2019), Million Dollars by Lady Gaga
- Book: The Monk Who Sold His Ferrari by the Canadian writer Robin Sharma
- While he was studying in school, he used to be an introvert. In an interview, he shared that he was even bullied in school. He said,
I feel this is my second life and my parents would agree with that. I don’t even remember having one friend in school. I don’t even have one memorable day from school. I hated school a lot. I used to fail in five subjects out of eight subjects. I was bullied a lot in school and maybe all that frustration piled up and I started working on myself. I felt I was put aside, not good enough. So, I don’t remember anything about school days, college life was good. Studies went really well, I made a lot of friends, and started participating in dance competitions.”
- He moved from Hyderabad to Mumbai, to pursue MBA and try his luck in acting. However, he did not enroll himself in MBA and started giving auditions for various acting projects. In the initial years of his struggling days in Mumbai, he faced various financial difficulties. In an interview, while remembering those days, he said,
I faced a lot of failures in Mumbai for 3 years, I tried badly to get into serials which did not even pay me. I never got a big shoot, literally I was idle for 2-3 months I didn’t get any work, I was out of funds. I was staying with 5 people in a 2 bhk and there was a time I was travelling by bus as well, but I never gave up. Somewhere I had an intuition that hard work pays in our life.”
- While he was doing corporate jobs, he gained a lot of weight. Before venturing into acting, he shed around 15 kg to back in shape; earlier he used to weigh around 85 kg. In an interview, he shared that while he was overweight, he auditioned for a TV commercial for a beauty cream. However, he was rejected in the audition, and the makers said that Rohit was not as handsome as required for the TV commercial.
- At the beginning of his career, he was not fluent in Hindi. He attended a few Hindi diction classes to get a command over the language.
- Since his modelling days, he has been associated with various social awareness campaigns such as the Versova beach clean program, helping poor children, and other social awareness programs.
- In his leisure time, he loves to read books, travel, play table tennis, and cook different dishes.
- Rohit Khandelwal is a spiritual person and often visits various religious places.
- In the Times 50 Most Desirable Men 2015, he was ranked no. 7.
- In August 2016, he received the Indian of the Year Award at the annual 21 Young Guns Award in Goa.
- In 2019, he was roped in to act in the Hindi film ‘Dhadkan 2,’ the sequel to the Hindi film ‘Dhadkan’ (2000). However, the film got shelved.
- Rohit has been invited as a guest speaker at various events of the talk show TEDx Talks.
- He has been featured on the cover of various magazines like TMM, Society, and Tulip.