Rahul Ramakrishna is an Indian actor, comedian, journalist, and writer. He predominantly works in the Telugu industry and shot to fame with his role of Shiva in the Telugu blockbuster film Arjun Reddy (2017).
Rahul Ramakrishna was born on Tuesday, 15 January 1991 (age 31 years; as of 2022) in Hyderabad. His zodiac is Capricorn. He is a dropout engineer, who left his degree in the final year. In an interview, he revealed,
I wasn’t cut out for engineering. I quit after dragging it for four years. I began working to fend for myself and did odd jobs like data entry operations and writing reviews for websites. I worked in a couple of newspapers and joined an NGO where I got to work with Dalits, Adivasis and marginalized farmers. Later I was introduced to Forum Theatre and during one such workshop, I was initiated into acting.”
Rahul had worked with small theatre groups as a backstage helper but never had the opportunity to work on stage before his college days.
Height (approx.): 5′ 7″
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Black
Parents & Siblings
His mother, Sheela Mamidenna, is an author. Reportedly, his father was a yoga instructor.
Rahul Ramakrishna dated a software professional named Bindu before he got engaged to her in 2018; however, soon they parted ways.
In May 2022, he announced that he was engaged to Haritha, and they would marry soon.
As an Actor
Rahul Ramakrishna stumbled upon an acting opportunity while doing other jobs after he dropped out of engineering. In an interview, he recalled,
I worked in a couple of newspapers and joined an NGO where I got to work with Dalits, Adivasis and marginalized farmers. Later I was introduced to Forum Theatre and during one such workshop, I was initiated into acting.”
He began his career as an actor with a short film titled ‘Sainma’, which was directed by Tharun Bhascker Dhaassyam. In 2016, Rahul made his Tollywood debut with ‘Jayammu Nischayammu Raa’. In 2017, he grabbed the role of Shiva, who is the best friend of Vijay in the film ‘Arjun Reddy’. This character raised his popularity as an actor.
He acted in several popular Telugu films, such as Bharat Ane Nenu, Sammohanam, and Chi La Sow. His 2021 projects include Skylab, Net, and Telugu blockbuster RRR.
As a writer
Rahul started writing reviews for websites in his early days after college. He is also a dialogue writer and a lyricist. He wrote dialogues for the Telugu movie Jayammu Nischayammu Raa, which was also his acting debut in Telugu. He wrote the song ‘Merise Merise ’ in Sainma. In an interview, Rahul disclosed,
I began writing dialogues and lyrics to supplement my income. I wrote three songs for Pelli Choopulu. I was introduced to Sandeep Vanga outside his apartment when he was chatting with Vijay, that’s how all this happened.”
Awards, Honours, Achievements
- Won the Best Comedian (Telugu) Award at the South Indian International Movie Awards in 2018, for the film Arjun Reddy
- Won the Best Comedian Award at the Zee Cine Awards in 2020, for the film Brochevarevarura
- Nominated for the Best Supporting Actor (Telugu) Award at Filmfare Awards South in 2019, for the film Geetha Govindam
- Nominated for the Best Comedian Award at the South Indian International Movie Awards in 2021, for the film Brochevarevarura
- Quote: accepting loss forever
- In 2019, Rahul deleted his Twitter profile a day after the release of his film, Mithai, which failed. He reactivated his profile after around two months.
- In 2018, Rahul announced that he will be getting married to his long-time girlfriend on 15 January 2019; however, during the promotions of his film, Husharu, he disclosed that his wedding has been postponed due to his hectic working schedule.
- He loves to read and is often gifted books and novels by his fans.
- Rahul has also worked as a TV presenter for one of the Telugu cooking channels and hosted the show Wow Emi Ruchi.
- In one of his tweets, Rahul revealed that he is a victim of abuse. He disclosed that he suffered sexual abuse during childhood. After his tweet, many people from the industry and his fans appreciated him for his courage and for speaking about sexual abuse, which is considered a taboo topic in society.