Peepal Baba is an Indian environmentalist, who is known for planting more than a million trees along with his team in different states of India. He is the founder of the environmental welfare organisation named Give Me Trees.
Peepal Baba born as Azad Jain aka Swami Prem Parivartan on Wednesday, 26 January 1966 (age 57 years; as of 2023) in Chandigarh. His zodiac sign is Aquarius.
He did his schooling at Cambrian Hall, Dehradun, Uttarakhand. From 1986 to 1989, he pursued a Master of Arts in English Literature, Astrology, Yoga, Meditation, Counseling, and Spiritual Teaching at Savitribai Phule Pune University, Pune, Maharashtra.
Height (approx.): 5′ 7″
Hair Colour: Salt & Pepper
Eye Colour: Black
Peepal Baba belongs to a Jain family.
Parents & Siblings
His father, K. C. Jain, was a doctor in the Indian Army. His sister’s name is Bharti Chopra, and she works as a doctor.
Wife & Children
His wife’s name is Sangeeta Jain. The couple has a daughter named Tanvi Jain.
Peepal Baba follows Hinduism.
Journey of Becoming Peepal Baba
While he was studying in school, he got inspired by his teacher’s words to plant trees. His teacher once said,
One person should plant at least 20 trees, only then the damage to the environment can be reversed. I planted four neem trees initially, followed by six peepal trees.”
In his childhood, his maternal grandmother used to teach him the importance of trees for human beings. Inspired by his teacher and grandmother, on 26 January 1977, he planted his first tree on Range Hills Road at Kirkee Military Station, Pune, Maharashtra.
Soon, his hobby of planting trees became his passion. Later, he decided to involve more people in his environmental conservation plan. He then started a hobby club named Give Me Trees. Initially, he used to ask his family, friends, classmates, and passerby to plant trees and water them.
Gradually, more and more people started joining his hobby club. Later, his hobby club became a trust which has been working in conserving the environment for a very long time. Peepal Baba’s trust has also worked for the restoration of the land. With more than 11,000 volunteers, Give Me Trees trust is working to conserve the tree saplings planted in various public and private places.
The trust has also organised various environmental awareness campaigns at schools and colleges. Peepal Baba also focuses on promoting organic farming. His trust has planted more than 1.25 million trees in various states of India. Some of the trees planted by his trust are Banyan, Pilkhan, Jamun, Mango, Neem, Sheesham, and Babool. Give Me Trees is considered one of the largest voluntary tree-planting movements in India.
Peepal Baba also conducts various yoga and meditation classes. He has worked as a teacher at various universities.
- Food: Dal Chawal with Chutney & Fried Potatoes
- Peepal Baba loves to travel on his motorcycles. He has a collection of motorcycles including Royal Enfield.
- In his leisure time, he loves to read books.
- Peepal Baba is an avid tea lover.
- He is an animal lover and often shares pictures with street dogs on his social media accounts.
- In an interview, Peepal Baba shared that his first guru was his maternal grandmother Pushpa Amar. He often talks about his grandmother at various events.
- He has been invited as a speaker at TEDx Talks several times.
- In 1984, under the guidance of the Indian spiritual leader Osho Rajneesh, Peepal Baba started following asceticism, however, later, he discarded the saffron.
- In an interview, he shared that he got the name Peepal Baba for planting and preserving Peepal trees in India.