Payal Ghosh is an Indian actress who has predominantly worked in the South Indian film industry. She came into the spotlight in 2020, when she accused the popular Bollywood director Anurag Kashyap of sexual harassment.
Payal Ghosh was born on Monday, 13 November 1989 (age 31 years; as of 2020), and she hails from Kolkata, West Bengal. She did her schooling at St. Paul’s Mission School, Kolkata, and then went on to pursue a Bachelor of Arts Hons. Political Science at Scottish Church College, Kolkata. Later, she pursued a Diploma in fashion technology. Around 2007, she moved from Kolkata to Mumbai to pursue a career in acting. She also pursued an acting course at Kishore Namit Kapoor Acting Institute, Mumbai.
Height (approx.): 5′ 4″
Hair Colour: Medium Golden Brown
Eye Colour: Black
Family & Caste/Ethnicity
Payal Ghosh has a Bengali origin.
Parents & Siblings
Relationships, Husband & Children
Not much is known about her relationships.
While accompanying one of her friends to the auditions for the British Telefilm Sharpe’s Peril (2008), she secured herself the role of a village girl, the daughter of a revolutionary freedom fighter from Bengal.
While pursuing an acting course from Kishore Namit Kapoor Acting Institute, she crossed paths with Chandrasekhar Yeleti who was auditioning for the leading role of Harika in the film Prayanam (2009), which turned out to be Payal’s Tollywood debut.
Her other Telugu movies include Oosaravelli (2011) and Mr. Rascal (2011).
In 2010, Payal Ghosh made her debut in the Kannada Film Industry with the film Varshadhaare in which she played the role of Mythili.
In 2014, Payal Ghosh made her debut in the Tamil film industry with the film Therodum Veedhiyile in which she played the role of Pavalakodi.
In 2017, Payal Ghosh appeared in the Bollywood film Patel Ki Punjabi Shaadi as Pooja in which she shared the screen with veterans like Rishi Kapoor and Paresh Rawal.
- Mumbai City Icon Award (2018) in the category of Promising debut in the entertainment industry.
- Times Leading Icon Award (2019)
- Icon of the Year Award (2019)
- Aspiring she magazine award (2020) for the ‘Most fascinating face of the year’
In September 2020, Payal Ghosh accused the popular Bollywood director Anurag Kashyap of sexual harassment. Reportedly, in 2013, Payal visited Anurag’s house in Versova, Mumbai where the alleged incident took place when Anurag Kashyap suddenly stripped naked in front of the actress while giving her a house tour. In an interview with The Times of India, she also claimed that Kashyap told her that Bollywood actresses like Huma Qureshi, Richa Chadda, and Mahie Gill often indulge in such sexual encounters with him. Humiliated, Payal politely refused the offer, gave an excuse of unwellness, and left the house immediately. Anurag Kashyap dismissed the sexual assault allegations through a series of tweets. He pursued the matter legally by providing documents as evidence to prove that he was filming in Sri Lanka during the time frame when Payal claims the alleged incident took place. In October 2020, Bollywood celebrity Richa Chadha filed a defamation suit against Payal Ghosh in the Bombay High Court for unnecessarily dragging Chadha’s name into the allegations against Kashyap. In August 2023, she discussed the matter and expressed that she was confronting Kashyap’s influence in the industry on her own, noting that few are willing to speak out against him. She said,
I am not the richest or the most powerful and so I don’t even expect others to come out and support me against him. I am fighting the battle alone and I know that’s how it is going to be in future as well. Nobody will take a stand for me and go against him. Everyone values their relations with him because he is a film director.”
- Payal was a frequent smoker. In February 2019, Payal quit smoking and began to practice yoga for her upcoming movies. It was her yoga trainer who advised her to quit smoking.
- Payal occasionally consumes alcohol.
- During her teenage days, Payal was widely appreciated for her active participation in various extra-curricular activities like stage shows and dramas. She belonged to a conservative family, and her father was against her desire to pursue a career in acting. At the age of 17, she ran away from Kolkata to Mumbai to pursue her childhood dream to become an actress. After moving to Mumbai, she lived at her eldest sister’s house for a while and worked as a model in a few advertisements of Tata Indicom and Docomo.
- Payal joined the Republican Party of India (Athawale) on 26 October 2020, which is led by the Union Minister Ramdas Athawale. She was selected as the vice president of the party’s women’s wing. While welcoming Ms. Ghosh into the party, Athawale said,
I told her RPI(A) is Dr Babasaheb Ambedkar’s party. It helps all sections of society, be it Dalits, Adivasis, OBCs, villagers, slum dwellers. The RPI will get a good face if you join the party. After I discussed this with her, she was ready to join the party.”