Doctor Mike is a Russian-American doctor, professional boxer, and YouTuber. He is known for donating money to charitable causes. He is also known for answering medical queries through his YouTube channel and social media handles.
Dr Mike was born as Mikhail Varshavski on Sunday, 12 November 1989 (age 33 years; as of 2022) in Saransk, the Union of Soviet Socialist Republics (USSR) (now Russia). His zodiac sign is Scorpio. Mike came to the United States of America with his family when he was six years old. According to him, his father decided to shift them to the US because of the rising antisemitism in Russia. In an interview, Mike said that when he came to New York, he faced many difficulties because of language and cultural barriers. He said,
When we came to the United States of America (in New York), I faced a lot of problems growing up. I did know only three English words: yes, no and maybe. On the first day of school in Brooklyn, my teacher assumed I spoke English and asked me a question. I said “yes,” so she moved on. She asked me another question. I said “no,” and she moved on. She decided to clarify with another question. When I said “maybe,” she knew I had absolutely no idea what I was talking about there. I guess most of the kids who come from different countries have to go through this. I, eventually, got over it and it was better then.”
After completing his schooling, Mike enrolled at the New York Institute of Technology (NYIT), where he pursued a bachelor’s degree in science from 2007 to 2010. From 2010 to 2014, Mike pursued a Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine (D. O.) degree at NYIT. In 2019, he enrolled at the MIT Sloan School of Management in Cambridge, Massachusetts, where he earned a degree in Leadership in the Digital Age and Organizational Leadership.
Height (approx.): 6′ 3″
Weight (approx.): 65 kg
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Hazel Green
Body Measurements (approx.): Chest: 40″, Waist: 32″, Biceps: 15″
Mikhail Varshavski was born into a Ukrainian Jewish family.
Parents & Siblings
His father is a doctor. His mother was a mathematician. She died due to Leukaemia. His elder sister, Dasha Varshavski, is a doctor and entrepreneur.
Wife & Children
Mike Varshavski is unmarried.
Mike was rumoured to be in a relationship with the 2015 Miss Universe title winner Pia Wurtzbach.
He was rumoured to be in a relationship with a journalist named Jennifer Lahmers. According to several sources, they dated each other from 2016 to 2017.
Mikhail Varshavsky follows Judaism.
He resides at 27 Glendale Ave, Staten Island, New York 10304, United States of America.
After completing his formal education in 2014, Mike worked as a resident physician at Atlantic Healthcare System from June 2014 to June 2017. In January 2016, he began working as the President of D. M. Operations. In February 2018, he was employed by the Atlantic Healthcare System as an attending physician. In 2018, he started working as a primary care physician at Chatham Family Medicine in New Jersey. When the COVID pandemic broke out, Mike began disseminating information among the people to fight misinformation under the tagline “Alert Not Anxious.” He also sells different types of products through his official website. Till 2021, Mike had provided $600,000 worth of skincare products to frontline healthcare professionals.
Social Media and YouTube
Mikhail Varshavski became active on social media while pursuing a Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine (D. O.) degree at NYIT. According to him, Mike came on social media to break the prejudice of the people that medical students have no life outside of books. His followers on Instagram and Facebook increased when BuzzFeed published an article titled “Um, You Really Need To See This Hot Doctor And His Dog” in August 2015. As of December 2022, he has more than 302.8 k followers on Twitter, 4.4 million followers on Instagram and 5.2 million followers on Facebook. He also has a YouTube channel named Doctor Mike. He started his channel in 2016. Through his YouTube and social media handles, he not only gives medical information to people but also debunks common medical misconceptions. Mike also reviews memes sent to him by his subscribers. As of December 2022, he has more than 10.4 million subscribers on his channel. Mike invited the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID), Anthony Fauci, and interviewed him about the COVID-19 pandemic in March 2020.
Mikhail Varshavski fought his first exhibition boxing match against a YouTuber named iDubbbz on 14 May 2022 and won. Mike, in an interview, said that he would donate the money earned by him from the match to Ukraine Crisis Relief Fund – GlobalGiving.
Mike made his professional debut on 29 October 2022, when he fought a boxing match against Chris Avila, a retired UFC player. Mike was defeated in the match by a unanimous decision. After the match, Chris, in an interview, said,
Props to Dr. Mike for taking the fight and no bad or whatever towards him. I am happy to get the win. I would have liked to get the finish but it was only a four-round fight.”
Birthday party during the COVID-19 pandemic
In November 2021, Mike received criticism for hosting his birthday party in Miami in which the guests, including Mike, were not wearing a mask. He was not only criticised by his followers but also by the director of the division of medical ethics at NYU Langone Health, Bioethicist Arthur Caplan. In an interview, Arthur said that Mike was not a good role model for his followers, and he should be criticised for openly violating the pandemic norms laid by the government. Later, Mike issued a statement and apologized for his actions and said that he “messed up” and that he needed “to do better.”
- In 2020, Mikhail Varshavsky won the Webby Awards for Education & Discovery and Health & Fitness. The award was given to him by the International Academy of Digital Arts and Sciences.
- Mike received the Streamy Award in 2021 for Health and Wellness from Dick Clark Productions and Tubefilter.
- In 2022, Mike received the Webby Award for being the Best Influencer (People’s Choice). The International Academy of Digital Arts and Sciences gave him the award.
- Ferrari California T.
- Audi R8 Spyder.
- BMW i8.
- Lamborghini 458 Italia.
- Lamborghini Urus.
- BMW Z4 SDRIVE 35I.
- Mikhail Varshavsky is also known as “The Hot Doctor.”
- Mikhail Varshavsky was given the name Dr Mike by his schoolmates when he was studying in high school as the school sports players used to go to him whenever they were injured in a game.
- In November 2015, Mike was named one of the sexiest men alive by the American magazine People.
- In the same year, he founded Limitless Tomorrow to provide scholarships to students in the US. His foundation collaborated with a dating service named Coffee Meets Bagel to raise donations for his foundation. The collaborations managed to raise $91,000. During the COVID-19 Pandemic, through his foundation, he donated N-95 masks worth $50k.
- In April 2016, he delivered a speech at Columbia University.
- In 2017, Mikhail was invited to a talk show named TEDx which was held in Monte Carlo, Italy.
- In 2020, Mikhail earned approximately $472,763 monthly from YouTube.
- In June 2021, the United States Air Force (USAF) invited Mikhail to fly in an F-16 fighter jet as a co-pilot.
- Mikhail takes a keen interest in sports like lawn tennis and basketball. He played a basketball match at the Annual Celebrity Games that was organised by the Brooklyn Nets in October 2022.
- Mikhail has appeared on several talk shows on channels like CNN, ABC, Fox News, etc. He has also appeared on several podcasts.
- During an interview, Mike revealed that during his childhood, his family did not have enough money to afford basic amenities. He further said that his mother had to work several minimum-wage jobs as his father was completing his medical studies. While talking bout it, he said,
I still remember, to this day, begging my parents for a quarter to buy a bag of chips. What I learned from all of this is having a lot of money does not change your happiness level once your basic needs are accounted for.”
- Mikhail is an avid dog lover and has two pet dogs. He has an Alaskan Husky named Roxy and a Newfoundland named Bear.
- Mike is a trained martial artist and has earned a black belt in Tae Kwon Do.
- Mikhail has a tattoo of Nosce te ipsum (Know Thyself) inked on his upper back.
- Mikhail follows a non-vegetarian diet.
- Mikhail occasionally consumes alcoholic beverages.