Cody Rhodes is an American wrestler, businessman, and actor who is signed by WWE and performs at WWE Raw. He is also famous for being the vice president of All Elite Wrestling (AWE) which is the second-largest wrestling promotion company after WWE. He has been a champion thrice at the same.
- 1 Wiki/Biography
- 2 Physical Appearance
- 3 Family
- 4 Relationships/Affairs
- 5 Religious Views
- 6 Autograph
- 7 Career
- 8 Tattoos
- 9 Controversies
- 10 Slams
- 11 Awards & Achievements
- 12 Car Collection
- 13 Favourites
- 14 Facts/Trivia
Cody Rhodes, whose birth name is Cody Garrett Runnels , was born on Sunday, June 30, 1985 (age 38 years; as of 2023) in Marietta, Georgia, United States. His zodiac sign is Cancer. As a teenager, he legally changed his name to Cody Garrett Runnels Rhodes.
Cody is also popularly known by his ring names like Cody , Cody R , The American Nightmare , Fuego 2 , and Stardust. Rhodes attended Lassiter High School and started wrestling during that time. After high school, he decided to wrestle at Penn State University but joined professional wrestling instead. He came into the spotlight in the first tenure of his performance from 2006-2016 where he performed under his real name Cody Rhodes and Stardust (a gimmick of his half-brother’s name Goldust.)
Height: 6′ 2″
Weight: 100 kg
Hair Colour: Blonde
Eye Colour: Blue
Body Measurement (approx.): 45-36-18
Rhodes is a partial Cuban.
Parents & Siblings
His father is “The American Dream” Dusty Rhodes (WWE wrestler and Hall of Famer) (d. June 11, 2015; aged 69).
His mother is Michelle Rubio Rhodes.
He has a half-brother, the famous wrestler, Dustin Runnels, aka Dustin Rhodes or Goldust.
Cody also has two half-sisters, Teil Gergel Margaret, and Kristin Ditto (former Dallas Cowboys Cheerleader)
Wife & Children
Cody married Brandi Alexis Reed (American wrestler, ring announcer, model, businesswoman, and television personality) in 2013.
The couple has a daughter together, Liberty Iris Runnels (b. June 18, 2021.)
Cody has dated Layla El (English real estate agent and retired professional wrestler, dancer, and model) (2009 – 2011) and Abby Zamrorano (2000 – 2004).
He has been linked with Melissa Lingafelt (American Model) (2009 – 2010), Sophie Graham (2006 – 2009), and Sarah Allison Williams (2004 – 2006).
Cody claims that he is not really a religious person.
Cody started as an amateur wrestler when he was only 12 years old which led him to win the Georgia state championship in 2003.
Cody joined professional WWE in 2006 and was assigned to Ohio Valley Wrestling (OVW) in May 2006 and won the OVW Southern Tag Team Championship twice, OVW Heavyweight Championship, and the OVW Television Championship.
He was assigned to WWE’s main roster in 2007 where he gained prominence after winning Intercontinental Champion twice and six world tag team championships (three World Tag Team Championships and three WWE Tag Team Championships). Rhodes left WWE in May 2016. During this tenure, he wrestled with the name Stardust.
After his release from the WWE, Cody started wrestling in the independent circuit under the name Cody. From 2016 to early 2017, he competed at WWE’s WrestleMania, ROH’s Final Battle, NJPW’s Wrestle Kingdom events, and Impact Wrestling (formerly TNA) at Bound for Glory. For this tenure, Rhodes had held 15 championships which also included two world titles, and in 2018, the NWA Worlds, IWGP U.S., and ROH Six-Man titles simultaneously.
In 2019, Rhodes went on to become the wrestler with his wife and an executive vice president of AEW. In February 2022, after failing to get the contract back, he and his wife left the AEW.
Return to WWE
He returned to WWE at WrestleMania 38 in the same year and won against Seth Rollins. Rhodes also won the 2023 Men’s Royal Rumble match leading him to wrestle at WrestleMania 39.
Cody’s debut movie role was in Scooby-Doo! and WWE: Curse of the Speed Demon (2016) where he played the role of Stardust.
In 2017 he again played the role of Stardust in The Jetsons & WWE: Robo-WrestleMania!
He made a TV debut with The Tonight Show with Conan O’Brien in 2009 as himself. In 2010, he made an appearance in Warehouse 13 as Kurt Smoller, and in 2011 in Food Network Challenge. Rhodes guest-starred on Arrow (season 5) as Derek Sampson. He reappeared for season 7 of the same show. He is also a part of the Go-Big Show, a talent show that focuses more on monster trucks, alligator trainers, stunt archery, and other radical feats.
From 2013-2015, he appeared in The JBL and Cole/Renee Show as himself.
In 2015, he did a role in Swerved, and from 2016-2022 he was a part of Being the Elite team as himself.
He has appeared in 12 video games with his debut in WWE SmackDown vs. Raw 2009.
Other games include WWE SmackDown vs. Raw 2010, WWE SmackDown vs. Raw 2011, WWE All Stars (as DLC), WWE ’12, WWE ’13, WWE 2K14, and WWE 2K15 as Cody Rhodes, and in WWE 2K16 and WWE 2K17 under his name Stardust.
The American Nightmare Logo on Neck
Cody debuted the logo tattoo in his match against MJF which quickly became a hot topic. As for Cody, the tattoo had personal and emotional significance.
I think it represents individual identity. It meant a lot to have my mark on me.”
‘Dream’ on Chest
Cody got the word “Dream” inked on his chest after the death of his father, Dusty Rhodes.
Geometrical Triangle Tattoo on Finger
The exact significance of this tattoo is not known but because Cody gets ink that has some personal significance, this tattoo seems to have some personal symbolic meaning for him.
Using WWE Banned Words
Cody got into a controversy with his WWE family after he remarked on the banned words in WWE. The banned words in the tournament are “Wrestling, Wrestlers, Belt, Blood, Choke, Diva, Strap, Mofos, Head Shot, Trauma, DQ, The Anti-Diva, Spinal Injuries, Victim, Violence/Violent, WWF, Wifebeater, Curb Stomp, Strangle, Kill, Murder, Kayfabe, House Show, Push, Being Over, Babyface, Heel, Job/Jobber, Card, and Non-Title.” In an interview, panelist Steve Ozer spoke of the “title belts” before quickly correcting himself and replacing it with “championship titles.” To this Cody replied, “If they fine me $1,000 every time I say belts, I’m fine with it. Belts. It can be a title belt, sure, it’s a championship. But it also physically goes around your waist. It’s a belt. So, those are great belts [in the new Mattel figures].”
LGBTQ Themed T-Shirt Controversy
For Pride Month, Cody showed his support by launching a T-Shirt with his Logo on it for a charity to protect Transgender rights.
He immediately got backlashed by the fans for donning his logo on the short instead of Nayla Rose or Sonny Kiss as they are representatives of the community. However, Rose defended him saying that the fans are too “woke” these days and Cody only had the best intentions.
People tend to be a little too woke a lot of times and overlook a lot of things,” Rose said. “Cody’s an ally and he wants to go out there and do good. How can you hate on someone who wants to do good because it isn’t how you want it to be done? That’s absolutely silly. Cody actually asked me about the charity, so I did my research and due diligence and said absolutely and we agreed it was a great place for the proceeds to go to. To have someone like Cody, Dustin Rhodes, Brandi Rhodes back me and see me as a person first, it means the world to me.”
AEW “American Dream” Promo on Anthony Ogogo
To hype up his Double or Nothing match with Anthony Ogogo, Rhodes revealed a promo on AEW Dynamite, sharing his patriotic views for his country. Many people took this the negative way and Cody had to take constant backlash so much so that he had to come clean about his intentions multiple times in front of the media. He cleared that he was not trying to ‘mansplain’ racism but only trying to express how proud he is of his family and country.
As Cody Rhodes
- Cross Rhodes – 2009–present
- Figure-four leglock
- Silver Spoon – 2007–2009
- American Nightmare (Inverted Indian deathlock) – 2016–2017
- Din’s Fire (Vertebreaker) – 2018
- Tiger Driver ’98 – 2021-present
- Diamond Dust (Forward somersault three-quarter facelock jawbreaker) – 2014
- Dark Matter (Modified reverse STO) – 2014–2015
- Queen’s Crossbow – 2015–2016
As Cody Rhodes
- Alabama slam – adopted from Hardcore Holly; 2010–present
- Beautiful Disaster/Disaster Kick – Springboard kick (2010–present)
- Bulldog, sometimes from the second rope
- Inverted suplex slam
- Muscle buster
- Running Crossbody, sometimes from the top rope
- Snap power slam
- Cody Cutter (springboard cutter) 2019–present
- Falling inverted DDT
- Falling Star (Springboard senton from the ring apron to the outside of the ring)
- Springboard bionic elbow – Adopted from his father Dusty Rhodes
- Springboard Roundhouse Kick
Awards & Achievements
- Georgia State Tournament (2003, 2004)
- All Elite Wrestling: AEW TNT Championship (3 times), AEW TNT Championship Tournament (2020)
- Alpha-1 Wrestling: A1 Tag Team Championship (1 time) – with Ethan Page
- Global Force Wrestling: GFW NEX*GEN Championship (2016)
- NWA World Heavyweight Championship (2018)
- New Japan Pro-Wrestling: IWGP United States Heavyweight Championship (2019)
- NEW Heavyweight Championship (2017)
- OVW Heavyweight Championship (2011)
- ROH World Championship (2017)
- Sports Illustrated: Men’s Wrestler of the Year (2018)
- World Wrestling Entertainment/WWE
- WWE Intercontinental Championship (2011, 2020)
- WWE Tag Team Championship (3 times) – with Drew McIntyre (1) and Goldust (2)
- World Tag Team Championship (3 times) – with Hardcore Holly (1) and Ted DiBiase (2)
- Men’s Royal Rumble (2023)
- WWE Tag Team Championship No. 1 Contender’s Tournament (2012) – with Damien Sandow
- Wrestling Observer Newsletter: Worst Gimmick (2015)
- Mercedes G Class
- Porsche Panamera
- Theme Park: Universal Studios
- Games: The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
- WWE Match: Hogan Rock, Wrestle Mania 12
- TV Show: Saved by the Bell
- Fictional Characters: Omega Red, Cyclops, and Inhumans
- He belongs to a family of wrestlers. His godfather, Magnum T. A. is an American retired professional wrestler. His uncle Fred Ottman is better known by his ring name Tugbot or Typhoon. His uncle Jerry Sags is a member of the tag team The Nasty Boys. The well-known Scorpio Sky is Cody’s cousin by marriage who is a part of the AEW.
- When he was in high school, Rhodes also played a role as a referee in his father’s Turnbuckle Championship Wrestling promotion.
- After he graduated from high school, Cody took admission in an acting school as his father did not want him to join the sports.
He didn’t want me at all to get involved in sports entertainment,” says Cody. “It wasn’t like he was a deterrent for it, but he didn’t really want the day to come where I said I wanted to go somewhere to train. He wasn’t ready for that day when it did come.”
- The theme song of Cody Rhoades is “Kingdom” by Downstait.
- Cody has been trained by one of the best trainers in the wrestling community. They include people such as Al Snow, Danny Davis, Dusty Rhodes, Randy Orton, Ricky Morton, Shawn Spears
- Cody and his wife Brandi Rhodes starred together on the reality show Rhodes to the Top (2021) which revolves around their personal and professional lives.
- In the role of Derek Sampson in the TV show Arrows, Sampson’s drug of choice was named Stardust in homage to Rhodes’ name in WWE.
- During his time in the Independent Circuit, Cody wrestled under his shortened name ‘Cody’ as the name ‘Cody Rhodes’ was trademarked by WWE until 2020.
- In September 2018, he won the NWA Worlds Heavyweight Championship making him and Dusty to be the first father and son to win the title.
- Rhodes has done a lot of sponsorships since 2006 but in 2009 he became one of the faces of the Gillette “Be a Superstar” advertising campaign, along with Chris Jericho and John Cena.
- Rhodes’s inclusion in the video games AEW Fight Forever and WWE 2K23 marked his return to WWE Games.
- Rhodes is a Zelda game and a comic book fan and has worn wrestling gear inspired by Archangel and Mister Sinister, characters from X-Men.
- He owns a game cabinet of the 1992 X-Men arcade game.
- Cody loves animals and has four pet dogs named Paraoh, Colby, M