Adwaita Nayar is an Indian businesswoman. She is the co-founder of the beauty and lifestyle retail company ‘Nykaa,’ and CEO of ‘Nykaa Fashion,’ an extended branch of the company which she started in 2018.
Adwaita Nayar was born on Friday, 16 August 1991 (age 31 years; as of 2022). She attended Cathedral and John Connon School in Mumbai. Later, she attended Dhirubhai Ambani International School, where she completed her schooling. She pursued a Bachelor’s in Applied Mathematics at Yale University (2008-2012). She later pursued an MBA at Harvard Business School (2015-2017) in Boston.
Height (approx.): 5′ 8″
Weight (approx.): 60 kg
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Black
She belongs to a Gujarati family.
Parents & Siblings
Her father, Sanjay Nayar, is the chairman of Kohlberg Kravis Roberts & Co., which offers alternative asset management, capital markets, and insurance solutions. Her mother, Falguni Nayar, is the founder and CEO of the beauty and lifestyle retail company ‘Nykaa.’
She has a twin brother named Anchit Nayar, who is the CEO of Beauty E-Commerce at Nykaa.
Adwaita Nayar got married to Anubhav Gupta on 9 February 2019. The marriage ceremony was held at the Oberoi Udaivilas, Udaipur.
Adwaita Nayar started her career as a summer intern at the international NGO ‘CARE’ in Tanzania in 2009. She worked there for almost three months. The following year, she enrolled herself in an internship at ‘Citigroup Inc.’ in London, United Kingdom, where she was a part of the Industrials Investment Banking team.
In June 2011, she joined the American multinational investment bank and financial services company ‘Morgan Stanley’ in Midtown Manhattan. She worked there as an institutional equities summer analyst and had the responsibilities to manage the emerging market equity derivative sales and trading.
In July 2012, she started working as an associate consultant at the American management consulting company ‘Bain & Company’ in the Greater New York City Area, where she had the responsibities to consult the financial services firms on operational efficiency projects. She worked there for more than one year and later resigned.
While Adwaita was working at ‘Bain & Company’ in New York, her mother shared her idea of starting her own business. Adwaita got excited about the idea and decided to pursue a career in business. She came back to India and co-founded the Indian e-commerce company ‘Nykaa’ in 2012, which sells beauty and wellness products. She later decided to widen the horizons of the business by launching a new branch of the company for fashion products. In 2018, she launched ‘Nykaa Fashion’ which she headed as the CEO; it comprises 25% of Nykaa’s business. She grew the platform 120x in the first 12 months and later took the online business to the offline stores for which she visited different cities to understand the market and consumer preferences. The ‘Nykaa Fashion’ later featured more than 2000 international and national brands and also launched some of its own brands such as 20 Dresses, RSVP, Mixt, Likha, and Pipa Bella.
- In 2021, The Economic Times listed her on the list of “ET 40 Under Forty: India Inc’s Top Young Leaders.”
- In 2021, she was listed on the list of ‘Tycoons of Tomorrow’ by Forbes India.
- Book: “Pour Your Heart into It” by Howard Schultz
- Fashion Brand: NA-KD Fashion
- Quote: “I’ve learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.”
- In an interview, she said that she considers her mother to be her mentor and model. She said,
My mother is incredible; she is a mentor to me in every possible way, both in my personal and professional life. Every role that I will ever have in life, I feel like I already have a great mentor and role model for that.”
- She believes that one should have a sustainable relationship with his/her work to make it successful. In an interview, she talked about her leadership style in business and said,
I define it as leading with equal measure: of a strong mind and a soft heart. Empathy is a big part of leadership and bringing that degree of understanding, mentorship and caring for people is my style.”
- In November 2022, Adwaita Nayar was featured on the digital cover of the magazine ‘Entrepreneur India.’
- In an interview, she said that had she not been an entrepreneur, she would be a doctor or surgeon.
- She loves to explore different places.
- She enjoys playing football.