Munmun Dutta is an actress and model. She is known for her work in the long-running Tarak Mehta Ka Ooltah Chashma as Mrs. Babita Iyer. She has been in the industry for more than 15 years. She has worked in many TV ads and has done various modelling assignments too. Let’s check out more about the personal and professional life of Munmun Dutta.
Munmun Dutta was born on 28 September 1987 (34 years old; age as of 2021) in Durgapur, West Bengal. As a child, she wanted to become a doctor but ended up becoming an actress. She became a household name after she appeared in the famous TV serial ‘Taarak Mehta Ka Oolta Chashmah.’ Since then there has been no looking back for her. She has also appeared in many modelling assignments.
Munmun Dutta is 5′ 5″ feet height.
Although her hair colour is brown. She is fond of dyeing her hair and often wears a golden or blonde hair colour.
Family, Caste & Boyfriend
Munmun Dutta was born in a Bengali family. Both her parents have been singers. Like her family, she also developed an interest in singing. So, she underwent training in classical singing. Her father died on 11 June 2018 after chronic illness.
According to the sources, Munmun Dutta was in a relationship with actor Armaan Kohli. But due to his aggressive nature, the relationship could not last long. It is also said that Armaan used to abuse Munmun physically. In September 2021, she was rumoured to be in a relationship with her Taarak Mehta Ka Oolta Chashmah co-star Raj Anadkat who is known for his role of Tappu in the show.
Munmun Dutta did her schooling from Oxford Model Senior Secondary School, Kanpur, UP. She moved to Pune for higher education and recieved a Master’s degree in Arts (English). Her mother insisted her to pursue journalism and so she enrolled herself in a journalism course, but she left it in between to go ahead with her career in the glamour world.
Munmun Dutta started her acting career with the TV serial ‘Hum Sab Barati’ in 2004, which was telecasted on Zee TV. She also tried her luck in films and made her debut with the film titled ‘Mumbai Express’ (2005). She worked in other TV shows and movies as well, but she shot to fame with the show ‘Tarak Mehta Ka Oolta Chashma,’ which has been running on TV for more than 8 years.
- In May 2021, she was criticized on social media for using a casteist slur in a video that she posted on her Instagram profile on 9 May 2021. On 10 May 2021, she apologised for the same and called it unintentional. She wrote on Twitter,
This is in reference to a video that I posted yesterday where in one word used by me has been misinterpreted. It was never said with the intent of insult, intimidate, humiliate or hurt anyone’s feelings. Because of my language barrier, I was genuinely misinformed about the meaning of the word. Once I was made aware of its meaning I immediately took the part down. I have utmost respect for every single person from every caste, creed or gender and acknowledge their immense contribution to our Society or nation.”
— Munmun Dutta (@moonstar4u) May 10, 2021
- In September 2021, she was heavily trolled on social media after she was rumoured to be dating her Tarak Mehta Ka Ooltah Chashmah co-star Raj Anadkat who is 9 years younger than her. Later, she took to Instagram to express her disappointment over the comments she had been receiving on social media in which she was age shamed. She shared two posts on Instagram; one for the public, and the other for the media.
- In February 2022, after it was rumoured that she was arrested in the casteist case, she clarified that police called her for interrogation, and she was not arrested. She further added that the rumour of her arrest had deeply upset her.
- Munmun Dutta likes to watch Amitabh Bachchan, Shah Rukh Khan, Rani Mukherjee, Madhuri Dixit, and Anushka Sharma on the silver screen.
- Her favourite cricketer is Rohit Sharma.
- Dutta’s dream destinations include Goa and Paris.
- She likes white, blue, and black colours.
- Munmun’s favourite TV show is ‘Kuch Rang Pyar Ke Aise Bhi’ (2016).
- She likes watching Hollywood movies, Titanic (1997), and A Walk to Remember (2002) in her free time.
- Munmun Dutta loves dancing and is a trained dancer. She has also appeared in some music videos.
- She is very passionate about travelling and wants to see every part of the world.
- The #MeeToo campaign on Twitter inspired Munmun to open up about her bad experiences with the men around her in her childhood. She wrote a post on Instagram and even mentioned the reason for not being able to get married to someone.
View this post on Instagram
#MeToo …… Yes …. #Metoo ….. Sharing a post like this and joining the global awareness on sexual assaults on women all over the world and showing solidarity to each and every woman who sailed on the same boat , shows the magnitude of the problem. M surprised that some ‘good ‘ men are shocked to see the number of women who have come out and shared their #metoo experiences. NO DON’T BE. This is happening in your own backyard, in your own house, with your own sister, daughter , mother, wife or even your maid … Gain their trusts and ask them. You will be surprised at their answers.. You will be surprised with their stories.. Writing something like this brings me to tears reliving those memories as a little girl when I was scared of the neighbourhood uncle and his prying eyes who at any given opportunity would grope me and threaten me not to speak about this to anyone ….. OR my much older cousins who would eye me differently than their own daughters …. OR the man who saw me at the hospital when I was born and 13 years later he thought it’s appropriate for him to touch my body because I was a growing teenager and my body had changed…. OR my tuition teacher who had his hands in my underpants ……. OR this another teacher , whom I tied Rakhi to, would scold the female students in the class by pulling their bra straps and slapping on their breasts …. . OR that man in the train station who gropes U … Why ?? Because you’re too young and scared to speak up. So scared that you can feel your stomach getting twisted inside and throat getting choked up … you don’t know how are you going to explain it to your parents or you’re too shy to utter a word to anyone …. And then you start developing that deep rooted hatred towards men … Because you know they’re the culprit who made you feel this way.. That disgusting, twisted feeling inside which takes years to overcome …. M happy to be another voice joining this movement and make people realise that I was not spared either. But TODAY I will rip apart any man who even remotely tries anything on me. I AM PROUD OF WHO I AM ..
- Munmun Dutta is also a social worker. She is a supporter of the girl child education and is also paying for the education of her house maid’s daughter.
- She also works for the street dogs as she is an animal lover.